Monday, June 06, 2005

Laurie's 21st Birthday Eve

In one hour it will be June 7th, what should have been Laurie's 21st birthday. I have been anticipating and thinking of how this day will look for a few weeks and now we are here. I don't face tomorrow with dread, instead I want to celebrate a life well lived.
When I think of all the awesome things she got to do in 20 years, I marvel. She went to Europe with Pam, she saw Yellowstone Park with her dad, we had trips all over the place: Colorado, Disney World, the West Virginia rafting trip, Oregon. She lived and served in Mexico for 10 months, she sky dived with me, she skied in several places, she finally snowboarded (Thanks, Trinity). She loved and cared for the elderly, she loved and cared for little kids, she loved and cared for her friends, she loved and cared for her family, she loved and cared for Scott. And she was loved and cared for by all of us...She led her small groups and she spoke in front of large groups. She left me an amazing video from her speech class saying I was her hero. She fed the homeless, she loved her Starbucks customers, she loved Harper College, she loved Lake Geneva Youth Camp. She took joy in the most ordinary things and the most extraordinary. She witnessed her nephew being born, she sang worship songs at New Community. She performed the Ultimate cheer! She played Ultimate frisbee with zeal! She touched us, she touched me. She has been one amazing gift and I celebrate Laurie Boncimino...
Tomorrow Katie and I will go down to Lake Michigan and pray and thank God for her.
Tomorrow I will buy some Starbucks coffee and a sandwich and give it to some random person in her honor. I hope others will do the same. Tomorrow we will break open a bottle of champagne and toast this young woman I am proud to say was my daughter! And I will continue to thank God for her.

And I will thank God for each of you who continue to pray all of us through this journey. I will thank God for all the donations to The Overnight Walk for suicide prevention. Tonight, ironically, Laurie's Legacy Team made it to the top 5 teams out of 250! I will thank God for the opportunity I had today to spend time with Scott, Jessie, Kelly and Mike as we gathered to honor and pray for Jessie's parents and Denny and Laurie at the cemetery where Jess's parents are buried. I will thank God for a family that is bruised but not defeated. I will thank God for being the Lord of the universe. I will thank God for sending His Son for each of us...

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb-
I can not imagine how difficult tomorrow will be for you. Laurie wil lbe on my mind the entire day, I will live the day how she might have, minus birthday celebrations. I will get Starbucks and I will give a sandwich to someone who needs it more than me. I will watch the entire Cubs game and I will spend time outdoors and at church and with the people who I love and love me and make many happy memories for Laurie. I also can not believe that this day is here also but we will make it through and it will be a great day because if notihng else we will cherish each moment and Laurie helps me to remember that everyday, I just don't do it enough.
Much love in Christ~ Kristin

June 06, 2005 11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAURIE! Cheers to you!

Erin

June 06, 2005 11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday you beautiful Laurie. Rock on in heaven girl...

June 07, 2005 12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb,

Was wondering if you were going to put any of Laurie's Ashes Here in Lake Geneva Wisconsin where I am at, at The Youth Camp? Just curious?

Erin

June 07, 2005 12:18 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Barb--

I'm one of the many people who've been touched by Laurie through the website and your family's writings. She and you will be in my thoughts all day today--and I'll celebrate her amazing life here in the birthplace of Starbucks by treating one of my homeless neighbors to lunch.

Christine in Seattle

June 07, 2005 2:18 AM  
Blogger Jackie R. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

June 07, 2005 5:04 AM  
Blogger Jackie R. said...

Happy Birthday Laurie!
Barb - I am praying for you & the rest of the fam today...
I'm there - with the Starbucks & the sandwich! Love you Barb!

June 07, 2005 5:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb, that stair case and sleeping incident only happened once, but I guess you'll never let me live that one out. Those were the times, things were so much more simple then. You are especially in my thoughts today.

June 07, 2005 6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Laurie. I am sure she is having a great party with the angels :)

June 07, 2005 8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://1000deaths.com/

I have a family member who died from suicide & found made a photo memorial to them on that site. It has helped me a lot so I thought I would share.

June 07, 2005 8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Barb....

I thank God with you for Laurie. Everyone is a gift from God. You were truly blessed to have her in your life and you are so right, she accomplised more in her short life then some people do in a life time. I wish Laurie a Happy Birthday as well.

"Rejoice in the Lord...again I say rejoice."

May the Lord fill you hearts with His perfect peace and joy.

In His love,

Eileen

June 07, 2005 10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today I am crying over someone I never met...Laurie Boncimino. I've heard so much about you and I see the marks you've left on people, and the world. You loved deeply and it shows. You left a mark on so many---beautiful, beautiful child of God I hope you are basking in His love right now. Soak it up. Have a party in Heaven. Today so many celebrate your life--I will try and do the same. A life I never knew but one that deeply impacts me. Happy Birthday Lauire.

June 07, 2005 1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...happy birthday dear Laurie, happy birthday to you...I was hoping to sing that to you today in person. I was at so many of your parties, and the one I remember the most was the year Steph took a header into your cake!
Pretty funny...Steph didn't think so, but your mom and I had a really good laugh...Barb, I've been thinking about you and Laurie since I fell asleep last night...I'm sure glad you had that kid...we have so many nice and special memories...she was such a blessing, and I'm so glad I knew her. Hope you're doing OK today.
Love you...

June 07, 2005 1:16 PM  
Blogger Greg Boncimino said...

Mom,
I just had lunch with Cheryl and the girls. We ate at Starbucks. I took a moment to thank our barista, and told her she was doing a great job.

Then, after lunch, we gave a Starbucks sandwich to a homeless gentleman on the corner of 43rd and 290. He told us his name was John White, and that he considered this a "blessing from above".

"Laurie's Legacy" reaches Houston, Texas.

greg

June 07, 2005 2:47 PM  
Blogger Simply Me said...

Barb-
I have this urge to call you Barbie because i know you hate it, but I also know it'll make you smile... so...
yeah...
I was just thinking about Laur's 16th bday and Pete dressing up as Arthur...
and her 18th when she made everyone watch the skydiving video 500 times...
she was quite the girl...
there are many words that could be used to describe laurie...
today i'm using spunky. maybe it doesn't fit, but i like it
love you and am thinking about you tons.

June 07, 2005 3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb...
Larie Touched my life in a way that I cannot even describe! always think of Laurie as the most "Angelic" Woman I have ever come in contact with. For your Daughter, Laurie, Who has touched SO many people's live's, I thank God that I had the honor of knowing Laurie, even if only for a while! I am Celebrating Laurie today (As I watch the Cubbie's Game!) And I am praying for you All today, and Always! Love in Him, Dana Fricke

June 07, 2005 7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So thankful for Laurie's live-life-to-the-brim spirit. In 20 and 3/4 years, she touched more people, in a deeper, more lasting way, than most of us will who live to an old age. What a rare jewel! Such a gift from the Lord. Happy 21st birthday precious young woman.

D.D. Jax, FL

June 07, 2005 9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Laurie and a hug for your mom. I know that I cannot understand – other than the grace to accept this is all a part of THE plan. Laurie touched my life only briefly and yet made a lasting impression. I walked by the lake this week – in Laurie’s honor. My heart aches and I can only imagine the pain of her family and close friends. Please know that pieces of Laurie’s incredible spirit live on in those fortunate enough to have experienced even a small part of this amazing young woman. God bless your family, Scott and Laurie’s friends. May His love and grace continue to carry you through these difficult and challenging times.

June 07, 2005 10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb, I saw a cardinal in the yard today (never seen one before). I thought of you and said a little prayer that God may give you special grace today.

June 08, 2005 12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know now there was reason I was thinking of you yesterday Laurie. Happy belated Birthday to you. I know that June 7 is now a very special day.
There is a young girl named Chelsey Shores who has come to heaven to see the Lord. Please watch out for her and show her the happy place there. She had a lot of trouble in her life and has decided to seek a more peaceful life in heaven. She was also a very smart and beautiful person so you too will get along well. I will pray for you both. MRT

June 08, 2005 8:34 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I saw two cardinals right outside of my window the other day and thought of Laurie and you.

June 08, 2005 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental