Monday, May 30, 2005

Memorial Day 2005

I think Greg did a great job presenting a memorial to Laurie today. I have to spend some time thinking about my mom, too, today. You see today my mom would have been 76 years old. She always used to tell us that everyone put the American flag out for her birthday...and for a long time I believed it. But even if that wasn't true, I wave a flag of thanks in her honor today. She loved each of us, cared for Dad (who I also need to salute today as a veteran), knitted a gillion scarves and afghans and baby blankets and just was a fun, sweet mom. Not perfect, who is? She was a great memory maker. Mom passed away so unexpectedly last July; I still have not let that really sink in yet.
What I do know, is that I did not comfort her enough when my sister Lin died. Now knowing the pain of losing a daughter and how incomprehensible it is, I mourn that piece of all this, too. The other thing, too, is I am thankful I did not have to tell Mom and Dad about Laurie taking her own life. How could I ever have done that????

4 Comments:

Blogger Bigger than Me said...

Mom, that was cool. Grandma rocks! I miss her, and I hope Grandpa isn't driving her nuts up there!
Love you, proud of you, blown away by you...Katie

May 30, 2005 10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know there is a God when someone has lost a Mother, Sister, and Daughter and still living strong with their faith! Your a rare Gem Barb!

Erin

May 30, 2005 11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some people are just a gigantic elixir of FUN to talk to on the phone. Still just trippin' with glee and delight that I actually got to speak with you Barb. And sincere thanks for letting us know about your beloved mom. Uplifting to read about normal, nurturing mother/daughter relationships. Offers vicarious joy. (Am personally pretty bereft in that department, though I praise God that my mom and I had 4 healing years before she died.) Am thanking Him today for all we discussed yesterday. Almost Happy June my sister.
-Debbi Dunlap

May 31, 2005 7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Good job Barb, This was a hard Memorial day. I too, thought all day about the Indy 500 and the family together. Man I miss that stuff. I thought how mom was spending her birthday in heaven..Lucky her. I loved Katie's comment. love, Gail xo

May 31, 2005 11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental