Friday, April 01, 2005

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

Yesterday was consumed with getting Laurie's Jeep retrieved from the Chicago Police Pound on the far south side of Chicago. Weeks of calls to various police personnel, frustration, sadness...to finally see it there among hundreds of cars, some with bullet holes, some horrible wrecks...Laurie's prized Jeep. Now a "crime scene investigation" coated all through the inside with special chemical to lift fingerprints. Dead battery, where do you get a new one? Finally, sitting in it where she had sat four weeks ago, all the contents have been removed, I pushed the Eject CD button, and out pops a CD Scott had made for Laurie. Now I press the Eject Tape button, out pops a Seeds tape from an August service. Mike Breaux taught on "Diving Deep" into God. Had she been listening to them? We won't ever know. The irony was I had just listened to New Community message from Wednesday of this week and Mike Breaux talked about the death of the lady who had been at Willow in August. Her name was Marsha Williams born with many physical problems but who could sing like an angel. Mike said she just passed away 28 days earlier. Did Laurie arrive in heaven just about the same time as this lady who's story she had heard on the tape? Hmmm? And as my sweet nephew Phil drove his truck with the flatbed hauling Laurie's Jeep out of that dismal pound, he popped the CD from Scott into the player. First song, Close Your Eyes by David Barnes, the same song chosen for the photo montage at the funeral... weeping from the three of us as we drove.

Today, I need to go to Linens N' Things. As I walk in I am hit with how much fun Laurie and I had in there just a few months ago buying stuff for her new "grown-up" bedroom. I go to the clearance area hoping I will find what I need there. Instead, I see clearance Christmas stuff and I am struck to the heart thinking of next Christmas when we take out those 17 stockings to hang on the mantel..."Jesus, Pete, Barb, Greg, Cheryl, Ashley, Brooke, Chris, Christa, Hayden, Katie, Tommy, Denver, Maya, Isaiah, Laurie, Kristin". Ahhhhh. What about Laurie's stocking? I can't breath, I am crying in the middle of Linens N' Thing. I need to leave; I look up and on the shelf are boxes of tool kits for ladies, not just any tool kits, get this: Barbara K 30 piece Tool Kit. Barbara K, that's me. What is this? And next to it a gold Christmas stocking hanging thing for the mantel that read "JOY". Okay, God, again, I have to thank you for putting me right where I needed to be to see my name right next to JOY. Of course I bought both items.

Tomorrow. Who knows? God does and I am counting on that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bigger than Me said...

Mama, I love you. I wish I could have slept on that floor with you tonight... Sleep well, amazing child of God.
katie

April 02, 2005 1:30 AM  
Blogger Eve said...

did you stay up and write this? i love when i get to hear stuff in person. well it is hard to say love when i just want to go and hug you when you were talking about the jeep experience...and crying in linens and things..but you know what i mean. you and pete...i just grow to appreciate and love you as individuals and a couple... more and more... each moment.

April 02, 2005 7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we have one of those barbara k 30-piece tool kits at my house. it's great for me, sarah, and my mom. the kit makes everything so easy and girl friendly. like, you won't need a guy to help you use the tools. we think it's awesome. i find it really hilarious that you got one cuz i totally teased my mom about it when she got the one we have. somehow the fact that you bought it is ok though. weird.

-faleni

April 02, 2005 10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental