Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Not today....

Driving home from work was the worst today. I cried the whole way home; I listened to the CD of the service; I was aggravated with the rain; I missed Laurie so much; I called her cell phone (which the police still have) to hear her voice and cried some more...no blogging for me today. I just want to keep crying...

I walk in the door and there is the tidy pile of mail. More heartfelt condolence cards and a package. In the pile of cards is a note from my grandaughter Brooke, probably her first to me in 2 or 3 years. She explains it is written on stationary that Aunt Laurie had given her several years ago with a note saying to use them to write notes of encouragement to the people you love. She encouraged me.

I open the package. It is an amazing letter from a fellow Harper student who decided to come to the wake and her relationship with God became revived through what she saw and heard there! She is a song writer and has written a song to honor Laurie for when, not if, she becomes famous. She will include it and dedicate it to La.

And then the rain stops and the sun is beaming. I know the drill; put your back to the direction of the sun and you may see a rainbow. Did you see it? It was so beautiful, an arc of brilliant colors. Our neighbors were actually coming out to see it!

Thanks, God. Today you turned my mourning into, well, not exactly dancing, but at least smiling.

4 Comments:

Blogger Eve said...

Rainbows...always seem to bring hope. I thought that yesterday..looking at the rainbow on the edge of the massive storm and the sunshine...seems like life right now...

March 31, 2005 9:32 AM  
Blogger dbrown said...

Barb
I saw that rainbow too and it was the brightest, fullest one I've ever seen. I couldn't take my eyes off it. Absolutely beautiful.

Drew

March 31, 2005 9:58 AM  
Blogger Bigger than Me said...

Mom, you are my rainbow. You are my shining beautiful thing in the midst of a storm. I love you.
Always, Katie

March 31, 2005 3:08 PM  
Blogger Jackie R. said...

I was at Streets of Woodfield when the rainbow was out... it was awesome to see everyone come out of all the stores, line the sidewalks and share the experience of admiring God's creation... there were also 3 fender benders within 2 minutes b/c of all the distracted people but... what can you do? God's creation is awesome and I like to wonder if maybe he put that out there to minister to your soul...?

March 31, 2005 6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental