Monday, March 21, 2005

Hope, It has a certain ring to it...

Short night, maybe four hours of sleep. I had spent a lot of time going over Laurie's sent and received emails from the last two months or so. Some of what I saw there profoundly saddened me and angered Pete and Katie. Some judgemental emails she had received from "friends", an email she had sent to a relative, excited about her engagement and trying to re-establish some contact with no responding email back to her. How sad.

But then there were several emails back and forth to Harper students, making plans for the next issue of the Challenger. Her encouragement to make sure "Dal" was invited to an upcoming meeting. Her ongoing excitement about her classes; emails back and forth to her two aunts, encouraging one and establishing with the other her wish to have her be her wedding co-ordinator when the time eventually came. Her declaration about how fun Medieval Times had been to go with the whole family (22 of us!). Remembered how sweet it was when the winning knight had actually thrown his rose to HER! (Of course, it was fixed. A "squire" who frequents her Starbucks arranged it.) Reading her future plans made me sad, again. There is no clue in any of them about how deeply she was hurting. Maybe the lack of emails that should have been there spoke to me.

So where does the hope come in? As I was in despair and thinking what could have been done to help her, I glanced at my right hand. I always wear two small band rings. One is very narrow, two bands of gold and silver twisted together. The other is engraved all the way around with the little Christian fish symbol. But now there is a third ring. At the never ending wake that Thursday, someone, I still do not know who, pressed something into my hand and said to look at it later. Whatever the tissue wrapped object was, I stuck it in Pete's suitcoat pocket. Later, I retrieved the little package and unwrapped a beautiful narrow sterling silver ring. Engraved all the way around it was the word "HOPE".

Hope*Hope*Hope*Hope*Hope*Hope*Hope*Hope.... I have hope. I have hope that tomorrow will be a little better. I have hope that the world is not the savage, selfish place Laurie, with her hope for unconditional love for all, was feeling. I have hope that the same God I have leaned on so many times before, will continue to be our comfort. I have hope.

3 Comments:

Blogger Greg Boncimino said...

If there is anything specific that we can gain from this whole experience, it is the simple truth that it is WRONG to knock your brother / sister / "friend" down with your disapproval when he/she is embarking on what SHOULD be the most joy-filled time of his/her life.

Honestly, I have real anger toward those who expressed anything but encouragement and support for Laurie when she announced her engagement.

Ready for a bit more? (treading a thin line here...) I can't believe the bull**** that Laurie was downgraded from being maid-of-honor at Harper's wedding due to Harper and Bobby's disapproval. That's crap and everyone knows it.

OK. I'll back off. One of my many emotions is anger -- not at Laur, but at those who really made a huge mistake in Dec/Jan. I'll save the rest of my rant for counseling -- where a professional can help me.

Mom, thanks for sharing this. I'm sorry for clouding your blog with a bit of emotion today. I love you, and I do have hope too.

Greg

March 21, 2005 8:39 AM  
Blogger Eve said...

I guess so much of what I wish I could say on my blog. Perhaps I will in time. I'm sorry from the masses of people who still don't understand how to love unconditionally. Who perhaps thought they were loving but actually were more condeming than like Jesus.
I remember when I got Laurie's email about being engaged. My response was to find her as soon as I could after work to give her a hug and a big smile...but, I didn't find her at Starbuck's...couldn't reach her on the phone...left a message...talked to Pete...Something inside of me was just happy for her. She had said that not everyone was supportive and it made me ANGRY.
Anyways...Barb you know this stuff...there is hope...

March 21, 2005 9:07 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Hi Aunt Barb,

After hearing about your HOPE ring, and before I left for school I searched the bookstores looking for a ring that would be a constant reminder and a comfort to me. I found one that says Trust on it. It just reminds me that I am not in control of my life so I shouldn't pretend like I am. I need to trust God in all that I do. I love you so much and I can't wait to get home so I can give you a big hug!!

March 21, 2005 10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental