Thursday, March 24, 2005

The Letter

I feel compelled to read and reread Laurie's letter left for us. Though most is too intensely painful to share with the masses, I know there is keen interest in what she wrote. What did she say, what was she feeling?

The first several pages were actually written earlier, Feb. 10th to Scott telling him of how and why she loved him and how she wanted the world to know that their love was strong and unique. The next pages are a deep analysis of what she had always thought was "right"...how she took her beliefs very seriously but doubts were creeping in. Expectations, frustrations with a world that separated people from each other rather than drawing them closer. Life being one big game and it all goes back in the box.

And then this in her distinctive hand," WHAT DOES LAURIE NEED TO DO TO BE HAPPY?"
She answers herself with "to find something that she is passionate about...and run towards that something with all of her strength. Those things: * People * Loving people * Studying people *Watching people *Offering a glimmer of hope to the hopeless" She writes that the things attractive to her are unconditional love, serving others, acceptance, faithfulness, honesty.

And then the black parts...she is sorry, she is sorry, the pain, no way out, her pride, "I can not handle the stresses of this world...its not made for me." Oh, Laurie. If only you had known...this world wanted nothing more than to cradle you and love you for who you are.

My prayer right now, right this minute? That all those things you found attractive, Laurie, would be the heartbeat of all of us. To unconditionally love each other, accept each other wherever we are at, to be honest and faithful, to serve others in any way we can. That we would do this to honor you but more, to honor the God we love.

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg Boncimino said...

Mom,

Thank you so much for sharing this with the "readers" at large. I believe this gives an accurate overview of what Laurie's letter does say.

I'd like to punctuate your last paragraph even more strongly: We NEED to show unconditional love and acceptance to everyone -- no matter what. I know there are several people in Laurie's life who had a problem with doing that.

I pray that everyone of us learns that principle, rather than trying to make a statement by withholding our love or acceptance.

Unconditional means "without condition". Seems rather straightforward.

I love you, Mom.

Greg

March 24, 2005 8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laurie's legacy:

Recognize, honor, and accept love when you are lucky enough to find it. Love in your unique way. Be wise enough to celebrate the things that unite you in your love . . . your family and your friends.

We so miss the opportunity to share in Laurie and Scott's love and shared family.

Joyce

March 24, 2005 2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laurie's legacy

March 24, 2005 2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. K,
I know I don't know you still very well, but I want you to know how profoundly Laurie affected my life. I love you for loving her. I'm so sorry this happened. I'm sorry because I feel like shit for YOU. I feel like shit for ALL of us and I hate that this happened. I wish I could fix it, but I know that my Elmer's School Glue is nothing compared to the Super Duper Super Glue you wish you could fix it with. I'm rambling...
I process things by talking, thinking, finding out, wondering... and I thank you for sharing as you are able to. It feeds MY soul, and I hope it helps you.
I love you Mrs. K; you loved her and she loved me. I weep. You've wept... Jesus wept. And I'm thankful for that.
Anna Poling

March 25, 2005 9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb...
Thank you for sharing with all of us Laurie's thoughts of that day. May they serve as a constant reminder to everyone to love as Jesus loved....unconditionally. We all need to stop majoring in the minors and focus on the end result...to be examples of Christ here on earth. How blessed you are to have had such a beautiful child. May your memories be of her be beacons of light in a dark world.

In His Love,

Eileen G.

April 05, 2005 8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental