Saturday, July 02, 2005

July 2nd....

Did you know July 2nd is the half way mark of the year? My flip over scripture calendar at work switches around on July 2nd. That date is so significant in so many ways to our family. Pete's grandma's (Gram) birthday was July 2nd. What a sweetie she was. July 2nd this year is Chris and Christa's 10th wedding anniversary. We had a blast at that wedding. Two years later July 2nd, 1997. my sister Lin, died in a terrible accident. A good friend, Bernie, has her birthday today. And of course, this is month four, since Laurie's death.

July 2nd, just a date on a calendar, but so much significance. Just last year, I was on the road with the Barrington Boncimino's to meet up with the Houston Boncimino's at Outer Banks, North Carolina. Seems like a million years ago. And this year, the amazing addition of Reece Edward Boncimino to our family, today! Little three day old Reece is spending his first night at home with Mom Christa, Dad Chris and brother Hayden. I am in awe of God's timing. This family needed a big dose of joy. I read a journal entry of Laurie's from July 2nd, 2000. She was so full of hope and excitement about the recent baptisms of several friends.

Right now I am realizing I did not spend the time reflecting on the past in the ways I thought I would. An early phone call this morning had us praying for my dear friend Karen's mom. Ironically, Mrs. Alluri experienced the same type of abdominal aortic rupture my mom did last year. Had breakfast this morning with a young woman walking through the pain of losing her mom just last month to suicide. Went downtown and saw a musical. Drove like a wild woman to get to see Reece and then dinner with friends, Steve and Sandy. I only wept once today. It was such a beautiful sunset, I wept at that. And what I know: God is still here; He has not changed.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome precious little one! You and Grandma Barb look captivating together.

Astonishing, the signigicance of July 2nd, Barb. And now to hear of you offering the comfort you've received from the Lord, to this dear young woman. I pray God's healing for her.

Yesterday (July 2nd) we gathered for my mother-in-law's homegoing celebration at her funeral service in Tallahassee. A day full of remembrances and emotions...

Sending you wishes for a relaxing and enjoyable 4th of July.

D.D.
Jax, FL

July 03, 2005 1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Barb,
As I read your blog today, I was struck by your title, "July 2."

I don't think we have ever met personally...I knew Laurie through Willow and saw her at Starbucks weekly. I know Greg through serving on staff with him at Willow. What I had forgotten was the date of your sister's death. I had the joy of knowing Lin while I was on staff in the early childhood area of Promiseland. I will always remember her excitement when coming in to create a new painting for the toddler rooms or main desks. I loved how she would always add a special verse or personal piece of herself in her beautiful creations!

This July 2 is also the 10-yr anniversary of my 21-year old brother's death. Pete was the joy in my life. We were best friends, served together in Student Impact(Warthog team) and had great dreams for the future. The pain of his loss is still so great and difficult to believe. I never imagined that Pete would die so young or that I could live without him. However, I have experienced God's goodness - just as you have written. And, the gaping hole I once had is now a scar. Still painful, but healed..no longer gaping.

Your family has been very heavy on my heart since your unimaginable loss. I have been praying and will continue to pray that you will experience God's goodness in the midst of your pain. It has been a gift to read your words.
Blessings,
Kristin Smith

July 03, 2005 2:27 PM  
Blogger shelly said...

Thanks for breakfast yesterday Barb; for the encouragement, support, and just some time to be real about how I'm doing. It was just what I needed.

July 03, 2005 9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Barb. God is so good and His timing is perfect. I'm so happy for Chris and Christa. Please express our congratulations to them.

This day has tremendous significance for you. I continue to pray for you and Pete.

As an FYI....Herzig's will be visiting with us toward the end of July. I will give you a call and perhaps we can all get together for dinner. I know they would love to visit with you as would we.

Love and His peace to you all,

Eileen G.

July 05, 2005 8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental