Saturday, June 18, 2005

Dad's Day

I may be partial but some of the greatest dads I know are in the picture below. Greg, Tommy, Mike Klowas, Chris. These young guys know how to be fathers. They show it again and again. I will never forget Chris speaking at Denny's funeral saying that as Denny's children they would live life in full color, not black and white, and be full color dads to their kids, like Denny had been. And Pete and Phil Sr. both being dads through tough circumstances. Divorce, death but still going on.
And my cute dad there in the Hawaiian shirt. Dickie B. We have enough stories about him to go on forever. Last year for Father's Day I entered a letter to the local newspaper about why my dad was special and it got picked to be published. I framed and gave it to Dad last year...I am so glad I did that. Three months later he was gone.

And now it is fifteen minutes since I wrote the above. I am alone in the house. I had started to cry, went for kleenex, and just stood weeping at the kitchen sink. God, the ultimate Father, chose to cheer me up. The goofy Cracker Barrel cardinal we have, was sitting on the counter waiting for repairs to his Isaiah-damaged rubber neck. I must have triggered the sensor, because just then, the cardinal started chirping. I look out the window and, no lie, an American Flag (attached to a bike) goes by on the other side of our fence just high enough for me to see. My dad served in World War 2. He was a huge flag waver...Dad saying "Hello, I love you"? I'll take it for that.

And this for all of us, Psalm 89:26 "And he will say to me, 'You are my Father and my God, and the Rock of my salvation.'"

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that picture of your family and hats off to all the fathers represented in it. You were a great daughter bringing your dad home to live with you and Pete. I know that meant a lot to you and him to have him there. It is hard to believe that picture was taken 11 monthes ago and two people have gone to heaven since then. I love you Barb. I hope Pete has a great fathers day. Love, Diane

June 18, 2005 9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing that verse with all of us. especially those of us, like myself, who don't have the best dads in the world. it's comforting to know that He is my Father, when my earthly father has done nothing but abused me--i let Him redefine everything it means to be a Father...and He hasn't failed me yet.

shelly

June 18, 2005 11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our loving Father--yes Barb! Reading your words just now brought to mind the verse, "He will lead His flock like a Shepherd. He will gather the lambs in His arms, and carry them in His bosom, and will gently lead those that are with young." Don't even know where it is (memorized it 20 yrs. ago) but how tenderly He loves us and moreso--how faitfully He carries us. That's what astounds me again and again when I am weak. He doesn't merely pick me up and hoist me over His shoulder. No. He wraps me up in His arms and draws me close to Himself.

What a heart for Him you possess. How I praise Him for Cracker Barrell cardinals and bicycle-size flags. Happy Father's Day to all the fathers extraordinaire in your dear, blessed life!

Debbi D.
Jax

June 19, 2005 6:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb
I was reading your blog from a while back, you fearing that Laurie will be forgotton. Not a day goes by that I dont think about her. Every morning when I walk into work at starbucks I think of her. Sometimes the thoughts are sad, I think of how much I miss her, just her presence on this earth, but mostly i just smile. Laurie continues to be an encouragment to me, as I know she is to many others.
Sarah

June 19, 2005 11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental