Tuesday, June 28, 2005

I will choose to say...

I have been really lifted up lately by hearing a bunch of songs that have significance. Sunday at Willow was the one with the refrain, "I am a friend of God, I am a friend of God, I am a friend of God, He calls me friend." That was soothing. Yesterday on the radio, it was "God of Wonders". I could easily picture Laurie singing that at Blast and Student Impact with her eyes closed, worshipping God.

Then later on the radio, again, the song with the line "He gives and takes away, He gives and takes away, yet I will choose to say, 'Blessed be the Lord' " That's what I choose.

Last night was our final Grief Support for this session. We were asked to bring a picture and memento of our loved one. Chris asked me to bring the big poster of Laurie that was at the funeral and wake where she is making that goofy face. Some may have thought it out of place, but actually I thought it was a great way to remind us of the laughter she could create. And music, again. One of the members of my small group there, turns out to be an opera trained singer and he brought us each a CD of old spirituals he had recorded. I listened to it on the way home and appreciated another style of worship.

But right now the biggest musical blessing has been a rough cut CD made for us that Laurie's former piano teacher, Cindy Beier, has recorded. The song is titled "Good bye For Now." Cindy was experiencing the loss of two friends in one week and this song came out of that. The word pictures she has created in this song fill me with hope. Cindy has her CD release concert coming July 30 at Christ Community Church in St. Charles. She asked permission to do this song there along with some photos/video of La and Cindy's other friend. What an honor for us! I am hoping to eventually put the song on Laurie's website along with a few changes Greg and I are talking about doing there.

So bottom line, I will choose to say, Blessed be the Lord.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Barb, I Praise the Lord For Music. It helps me get through the day. It helps me smile, cry, laugh, praise, worship, calm, remember, and love. (2) songs that have been particularly sweet to my heart when I just want to be calm and be reminded of Jesus and Heaven have been "Come to Jesus" by Chris Rice and "I can only Imagine" by MercyMe??

June 28, 2005 5:39 PM  
Blogger Barb K said...

The two songs you mention are the first two songs on a set of CDs Pete has made of Laurie's favorite songs. "Come to Jesus" was also sung by Angel Barrett at Laurie's funeral service. I love those songs too. When my dad was dying in the hospital last September, I sang (well, hummed, actually) "Come to Jesus" for him. Really touching song, isn't it?

June 28, 2005 9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love uplifting music. :)

June 29, 2005 8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Barb...Music is such a blessing to our souls. I am so grateful for those who can compose and create music that is uplifting and gloriying to our Lord and Savior.
I will pass on the message about Cindy's concert at Christ Community Church. That is the church that Jim and Kris are members of in St. Charles. Jim runs a small group and is an usher. He would be thrilled to know that this is in Laurie's honor.

You continue to remain on my prayer list. My love to you, Pete and the family.

In HIs Love,

Eileen G.

June 29, 2005 11:16 AM  
Blogger QueenBee said...

I am at a loss for words...and that doesn't happen to me very often. Your blog is beautiful. Your words are so honest, so heartfelt. I just wanted you to know that I lifted your family up in prayer today when I stumbled across your blog. God's goodness is shining through you this very minute.

June 29, 2005 12:51 PM  
Blogger Eve said...

I wrote an email to Sherri the other day about hearing that song...you give and take away/you give and tak away...we sang it at church on sunday and it just hit me in sooo many ways...overwhelming but good...you know what I mean?

June 30, 2005 2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb,
It is funny that you mention music in this blog. I have had this song stuck in my mind for a couple weeks. Maybe it is to share with you. Maybe not.

"...Who told us we'd be rescued
what has changed and
why should we be saved from nightmares
We're asking why this happens to us who have died to live, it's unfair
This is what it means to be held
how it feels, when the sacred is torn from you life and you survive
this is what it is to be loved and to know that the promise was that when everything fell
we'd be held ....
...if hope is born of suffering
if this is only the beginning
can we not wait, for one hour
watching for our savior..."

It is called "Held" sung by Natalie Grant.

I love you Barb!

Sandy

July 01, 2005 10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental