Saturday, May 07, 2005

Back Home...

Pete and I got home last night about 12:45 AM. I should be unpacking, buying a birthday present for my little grand nephew, Brock's party this afternoon, but I am still in my pajamas sitting at the computer.

These last five days were good. The conference was fine; my rep company even won an award. Our renewal of our wedding vows could not have been any more perfect. We had family and a few friends, and if you know us, you know that having Elvis do the "ceremony" was not disrespectful but ideal. There will need to be separate blog on that with pictures! What was really good was that I had probably two days where I did not cry once...

But last night on the plane ride home, I had time to think what I was going back to. All the thoughts of this being the first Mother's Day without Laurie and my mom, Mom and Dad's wedding anniversary on May 10th. I had the window seat (Thank you, Jackie, Russ and Pete) and in the darkened plane, tears just rolled and rolled. Finally back home, a pile of mail with more sympathy and encouragement cards, a beautiful "Welcome Home to the Newlyweds" banner and a thick envelope with 40 copies of the memorial edition of The Challenger, the Harper Honors newsletter entirely devoted to Laurie. I read every article in it, articles written by her friends, her professors, her family...just amazing! I am struck again with the impact Laurie made on people. How God designed this beauty called Laurie Boncimino is beyond my comprehension. I need to say it again: How fortunate am I to have had her as my daughter for 20 years!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you enjoyed the issue. We worked very hard, pouring our hearts, souls, and emotions into every word. It is our gift to all of you who were lucky enough to have Laurie in your lives for 20 full years. We will remember Laurie for every day we were able to have her in our lives. She was truly a gift from God.
Kristin Kowynia

May 07, 2005 11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. K – Tomorrow I will tend to the planting of flowers where my mother lies at rest - with time I have found I am able to completely rejoice in the gift of the mother I was given – although at the moment I do so with tears. My tears are selfish – because many never experienced the love of a mother as wonderful as mine. I could never have let her go unless I knew it was part of a plan that I will never know – but none the less accept. My heart and prayers will be with you tomorrow – may you too – rejoice – even though understandably with a heavy heart – knowing that Laurie was a gift to not only you and your family – but to the world that she touched – myself included! Hugs.

May 07, 2005 3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb, I am so glad that the renewing of the vows went well.
I will be praying for you this Mother's Day for peace within your heart. That it will be a little less heavy then today. God Bless you.You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers

May 07, 2005 10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say Happy Mothers Day. One huge reason Laurie was as amazing as she was, is because of the impact her mom made on her! Laurie was so special and she got that from you. It was a 20 year job well done! I miss her so much!

May 08, 2005 7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb, I read this and just started crying. I wish you a big huge Happy Mother's Day. It was so good to see you at the party and give you hugs. I wish I could have sat and talked more. I love you my sister. You are so ...you Always caring about everyone. I want to be more like you. Again. Happy Mother's Day to you. I hope you see many cardinals today. God is in control...love, Gail

May 08, 2005 9:48 AM  
Blogger Simply Me said...

I almost wrote "Happy Birthday"
Hmm... "Happy Mother's Day"
May God show you love today... and everyday.

May 08, 2005 2:16 PM  
Blogger isaiah said...

to a mom who has reflected God to her children and family and their friends. laurie's legacy, is your legacy. happy mother's day!

May 08, 2005 4:27 PM  
Blogger Greg Boncimino said...

Happy Mother's Day, Mom! I'm finally unpacked from Costa Rica, which I hope to "blog" about soon. I hope you got my cool mother's day card in Spanish. Some more goodies will be heading your way...

Tomorrow I turn 36. Even though there is so much pain around us, I hope you can sleep well knowing how proud I am to have had the privilege of loving you every moment since I hopped onto the scene in 69. I love you, Mom -- even with your crazy Elvis wedding vows... Greg

P.S. Hope you had fun at the Cubs game today!

May 08, 2005 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental