Monday, April 18, 2005

Private Funeral Service

This past few days have been interesting...Pete had to be out of town (Omaha) for a gig, leaving last Thursday. After dropping him at the airport, went to the post office to buy 1000 stamps for the thank you cards. That is soo unbeleivable, yet. From there went to my counseling appointment. Verdict for that day: Doing well, processing appropriately. So appropriate that I stayed up until 3:00 AM watching old videos...
Friday, Hayden here, Katie and kids later in afternoon. She and I are both furious about a $50 parking ticket the Chicago Police Department issued at 8:53 AM on Thursday March 3, 2005 to Laurie's Jeep. Seems that somehow, between the ticket and towing her Jeep, Thursday morning someone should have realized this was the very same Jeep that every newscast and police department in the state was looking for. As it was it the Jeep was not found until Friday night. We are also upset by a letter from a relative...too personal to go into here.
Eve, sweet Eve, stayed over here Friday night and helped me with my dreaded twice yearly switching of the winter sweaters and summer clothes. We laughed and got it done in record time. Thanks, Eve. I am taking you up on the offer of always doing this together.
Saturday, some really good support from family and friends. More about that in a later blog. Stayed up again until 2:00 AM.
Sunday, church with the family and breakfast out after. Bill Hybels sermon about economic and racial injustice stirs me. I have been to South Africa two years ago with a Willow short term mission team and intend to go again. Start thinking about donating some of Laurie's clothes to the Gifts in Kind collection. I truly think she would think that is a cool idea. I can not shake the idea that I need to go to Lake Michigan by myself. With Katie and Kristin at the house, I tell them I need to do some errands and leave the house. It was not really a lie, I need to do an errand of the soul.

I travel downtown, find the location where the Jeep was towed from and then drive on to the planetarium and park, realizing she walked a long way...It seems much colder than the day we were here six weeks ago. I walk toward the spot and for the first time see an arrangement of large stones, almost like headstones called the The American Courtyard up above the spot. I chat with an African American couple, mostly about the huge expense of this display. Don't say anything, else. Go down by the water and the place where her things were found. Fow whatever reason I had brought the little tape recorder Pete had gotten me and I start talking...I realize now what I was doing. I held my very private funeral service for Laurie.

7 Comments:

Blogger PixieGirl said...

Aunt Barb,

My heart burns for you. I wish I could take all this hurt away from you. From all of us. Know that I love you more than words can say.

Mandy

April 18, 2005 11:15 AM  
Blogger Eve said...

Barb, sweet Barb, My offer was true so its a deal then. I love you! Once again I just had to tell you.

April 18, 2005 3:50 PM  
Blogger Steve Young said...

Barb,

We have never met, but I was Lori's team leader here in Mexico.

I had breakfast with Edson today and got the disks of the funeral. Will be watching with my wife and daughter later this week.

Edson and I both commented on the wonderful faith you have been and are exibiting. No one can NOT be impacted by watching your life.

Know that you're doing well and no letters from ANYONE can take that away. Jesus is very near.

Blessings,

Steve Young
Queretaro, Mexico

April 18, 2005 6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Barb-

You don't know me, but I was a classmate of Laurie's. She was in my spanish class last year. That class was a lot of fun-everyone pretty much knew each other and talked to one another. It was a really friendly classroom environment. Anyway, I remember I was walking to my car after class and she just came up to me and we started talking. Ever since then, we would talk after class! When the new school year rolled around-everything was new. New classes, new teachers, new semester, new classmates. I forgot about Laurie and about my other spanish classmates...The next time I saw her, was when I was walking to my car and saw a flyer of a missing woman...

Even though I only knew her for a year, I feel grateful that I even had the chance to talk to her. She was such an inspirational person and so kind and loving. I am really glad that you have this blog as an outlet for your emotions. Not only does it help you, but it helps us too. I don't know you, but I can tell that you are a really strong person and I admire that.

On Saturday, I had to be at Navy Pier for a dance performance and I looked out into the Lake and I could see the Adler Planatarium from afar. My heart felt heavy once again. I prayed to God and offered him my saddness then went on to dance my heart out.

God bless you, Barb-thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

~Marisa

April 18, 2005 8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Barb & Pete,
This morning I thought of you all (again) and decided to visit your Blog site. (Blogs/Xanga, to me, always feel like I'm reading someone's diary, so personal.) No, we have never met, but I know Pete. Reading thru I can tell that you have a super, incredible, relational, wonderful, funny, spontaneous, rich, God-loving family. Most of us would be envious. Through this great loss of your precious daughter, we (and hopefully you, too) can see God at work, can see God close by your side, continually leading you forward, nudging you out of the shadows. Refining gold requires heat. You are shining in the light of J.C. Better pass out some sunglasses!
Prov. 31:25-29 She is clothed in strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come (soon, Barb) ...Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her...

April 19, 2005 8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Barb...I'm always amazed at how you have the ability to express your deepest feelings. You have been an inspiration to me for more years than I can remember. I will never forget our dinner many years ago at Eros in Arlington Market when you were very pregnant with Laurie. You did not want me to take you home before driving by Claire's house to confirm what we already knew. Yet, you were strong and courageous and asked me to specifically pray for the sinner. I was so moved that you could look beyond the immediate situation and ask for a prayer to redeem the one who was hurting you so badly. I knew then that you were special.

I'm sorry that I can't change the outcome of yet another painful loss, but I know that you will overcome this and use the experience to help others because you are a born caregiver Barb.

I pray for you, Pete,Greg, Chris, Katie and their spouses daily. You are all such a wonderful family and very special people. You will never know how many people's lives will be changed because of your faith, courage, commitment and forgiveness.

I view those who say hurtful things as people who really don't know Christ. We are not on this earth to remain in our comfort zones but to step out and reach for the lost. Laurie exhibited the greatest example of unconditional love in her desire to reach the lost and to accept everyone regardless of their religious pedigrees. I hope that we can all show the same kind of love and acceptance to the unsaved and lost. Keep the faith!

In His Love.

April 20, 2005 3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello... i just wanted to let you know that you and your family are constantly in my prayers. it has been helpful for me to read the blogs that you posted on laurie's site. i remember laurie from student impact. from what i have read and heard about you, i can tell that you are an amazing woman. you have so much faith - and i really admire that. may God bless you and your family. i'm praying.

April 23, 2005 12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental