Friday, April 15, 2005

In-Laws

Today I have thought a lot about my "other" kids, the ones married to my kids. Cheryl married to Greg; Christa married to Chris and Tommy married to Katie. They are the unsung heroes in this grieving process. They have had to be a support system for their spouse, yet each had their unique place in Laurie's life and they grieve too. Cheryl, Christa and Tommy, each wired up so differently, yet such a perfect fit in this family. I love how they parent their kids, I love how they appreciate our weird family traditions like blowing up marshmallow peeps in the microwave, I love how each has contributed their own personalities to the "unit".
I love how each of them loves Jesus and it shows.

Several years ago we all (14 of us) rented two gigantic motor homes and drove through the night to get to West Virginia to go white water rafting. We were all a little scared when we pulled into the campground that looked like a scene from Deliverance. We smiled brightly and encouraged each other that it would be fun. And you know what? It was, it was hilarious. Games of Cranium, hiking, Chris crawling out from under one of the RVs trying to fix the disgusting sewer hose, me getting thrown from my horse into a stream, Laurie getting thrown out of the raft and popping up down stream, fabulous "eggs-in-a-hole" and bacon breakfasts.

And the one thing I still think about was initiating poor Tommy into the "Now you are married to a Boncimino" club around the campfire. Pete, Cheryl and Christa gave him all the lowdown on what it was like to be married to the zany control freaks. (Who, us?) I think by that time Tommy already knew. But through all the laughter, we knew we were all bonded to one another and that is an amazing thing. So wishing we could have added Scott to the "NYAMTB" club...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

scott is a wonderful person and i hope he has the support that you and your children have. it so beautiful to see such a close family who's willing to support one another. you and your family have been a great inspiraton to me. i knew laurie was a beautiful person i just never realized how beautiful her family is. thank you for sharing your feelings with us.

April 15, 2005 9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found scotts blog and he is suffering so, broken hearted he loved Laurie so..I to hope that he has someone to support him, his last post he seemed so very depressed,

April 15, 2005 9:53 PM  
Blogger Empress of Sarahan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

April 17, 2005 12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental