Monday, March 12, 2007

Wasn't gonna write; Wouldn't be prudent...

I used to love church lady on Saturday Night Live. She captured the sarcastic, obnoxiousness of some Christians. And the irony is, I am sometimes the church lady and I can't stand that in me. That is why I am so grateful for real life to bring me to reality.

I had been reliving two years ago alot and trying to bring myself out of the funk. Last Thursday was PADS night for me and Pete. "Serving will help me get out of this sad mood," I thought. We arrived at 11:00 PM, got the basic info on the special needs of any of the homeless people there that night and then I went to start to dig in on the laundry. I was even so perky, I had brought our camera to take a pic of Pete and me at our posts.

Not too big a dent on the laundry had been made by the first shift, I harrumphed to myself. I switched loads, worked on paying our bills and getting our tax stuff ready for the accountant. Switched more loads, folded, bagged and tagged load after load. Pretty soon my right arm was aching for no apparent reason, now I'm not quite so perky. At midnight, I am given three more bags of laundry and the dryers are taking especially long to dry. And then, I see it. A note one of the homeless men had attached to his bag of clothes to be washed. "Turn clothes inside out. Dry on low." it read. Arrrggghhh. I mentally flip out. Why the nerve! The audacity! I blabber to Pete about this is the limit...There had been some other situations that night and this was the straw that was breaking my back. I continued to be whinny when our wonderful PADS leader showed up at 3:00 AM to relieve us. The church lady in me was indignant that "this" person that "I" was "serving" would make such a request.

It was somewhere about 3:45 AM where I got my slap to reality. Just before going to sleep, I am praying, thanking God for the blessings He has bestowed on me and I realize I am in this nice cozy bed, next to this wonderful, loving, snoring husband (who does ALL of our laundry!) and I know where my next meal is coming from. Hello, duh, Barb, how about giving respect to the man who made a simple request that probably made him feel like he had a little bit of control in his life?

So I pray, "God, help me not to be a pompous jerk. Help me to love You and love others, really."

Amen.

3 Comments:

Blogger pdimontova@yahoo.com said...

Hi Barb:

Just love your blogs. Your so open and honest.

I think God allows us to be grumps and than brings it to our attention so that we know that is the reason He sent his Son, who is perfect and forgiving of all things. God knows our hearts and He knows that yours is one of the purest and strongest and most unselfish, truly precious in His sight.

You are still my hero. God Bless You and Pete and All Your Family.

Warmest Regards, Pat DiMontova

March 13, 2007 12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb, first, you look awesome. Skinny! Pete always looks groovy. Anyway, It is so cool how God humbles us here and there. I have to watch myself at work. Seeing these kids with no shoelaces, but parents can afford to smoke. Or whatever. I WANT TO YELL AT THEM. But, I bite my tongue and God humbles me. I miss you Sis. Gail

March 13, 2007 7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb,

That just brought tears to my eyes. You are so right. We all need to be more aware of how lucky we are. We are blessed. Thanks for helping to open my eyes...

You don't know me, and this is my first comment here, but you have taught me so much. Just wanted you to know!

God bless,
Jill

March 13, 2007 9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental