Sunday, March 19, 2006

Uphill...

Sometimes I feel like I am pushing a 2 ton boulder uphill. Then today the new series is about Jesus's last days "Uphill" At the end Bill Hybels asked that any of those who felt like life was an uphill battle right now to stand. He asked the seated congregation to lock on to anyone standing and prayer earnestly for them right in that moment. There was power in that moment as Pete and I stood with his arm around me.

I am intensely aware of many other prayer needs around us right now: My Aunt May just passed away this past Friday, My Aunt Carlene passed the Friday before. All their families are feeling loss right now. My sweet friend Karen's dad is gravely ill. Friends struggling with addictions. Katie struggling to find Katie. Lots of uphill battles but lots of us to keep praying for each other.

Last night I decided to see what Laurie was experiencing in Mexico at this same time three years ago and those pages are below. In her journaling she was doing a little exercise where each day she used the next letter of the alphabet to give an attribute about God. Just reading those pages reduced the boulder to maybe half a ton. I can do that!

11 Comments:

Blogger Gail said...

Hi Barb, I miss you. Uphill is hard, but when God is there we can breeze downhill with our arms out wide. And if we fall at the bottom, He'll pick us up....AGAIN.

I love you sis....Gail

March 19, 2006 7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb, you amaze me.

March 19, 2006 8:26 PM  
Blogger shelly said...

Praying.

March 19, 2006 11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laurie's words are so encouraging and inspirational. What a lovely young lady!

March 20, 2006 9:11 AM  
Blogger Eve said...

I am so sorry about your aunts. That is a lot in a two week period and then all the rest going on...but yes as God helps you it is possible...remember you told me light for each step.

March 20, 2006 10:22 AM  
Blogger becca said...

Without uphills, we wouldn't have downhills. No peaks. No valleys. Luckily when we're going uphill, we have things like ramps, pulleys...oh, and friends.

;)

March 20, 2006 1:19 PM  
Blogger Barb K said...

Amen to that.

March 20, 2006 3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Barb....So sorry to hear about your aunts. Yes...there is a lot of uphill battles. Somehow, with the Lord's help, we can make it to the other side. So many people are struggling right now with major issues....present company included. I'll pray for you and please pray for me. We'll talk some time soon. Praying for Katie and family too.

You are loved.

EG

March 20, 2006 4:24 PM  
Blogger shelly said...

have you heard the valley song by jars of clay barb? i listened to it on the way home for an appointment this morning and the chorus goes:

"I will sing of Your mercy
That leads me through valleys of sorrow To rivers of joy

When death like a gypsy
Comes to steal what I love
I will still look to the heavens I will still seek your face

And though the pain is an ocean Tossing us around, around, around You have calmed greater waters
Higher mountains have come down."

Thought of you when I heard it and wanted to share.

Love Love Love.

March 20, 2006 11:00 PM  
Blogger NicaGirl said...

Oh Barb,
I am so sorry to hear about your aunts. And for the struggles that are going on around you with loved ones. I am asking God to pour an extra measure of His peace and love over you and your family.
I am really glad I got to meet you last week and hope we can get together again the next time I come to willow (or if you are ever out this way)
Love in Christ,
Meg

March 20, 2006 11:11 PM  
Blogger NicaGirl said...

Oh Barb,
I am so sorry to hear about your aunts. And for the struggles that are going on around you with loved ones. I am asking God to pour an extra measure of His peace and love over you and your family.
I am really glad I got to meet you last week and hope we can get together again the next time I come to willow (or if you are ever out this way)
Love in Christ,
Meg

March 20, 2006 11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental