Tuesday, March 14, 2006

My Heroes...

Given friends think too much of me and my faith, know that I am just plugging along for Him. There are a few right now that I am thinking are really heroes. One is Pete. He defines grace under pressure. Always there for me, always able to make me laugh. And Drew is that too. We have the most weird senses of humor.

Tommy is a hero. Juggling work, the kids, Katie's care. Sometimes I know he is overwhelmed by it all but he is trying so hard to trust Him in it all of it. Shelly, my friend, is a hero. Suffering through the loss of her mom, helping so many around her through unbelievably tragic times, having her own big, big monsters to get past. Yet Shelly has been so faithful to leave me calls, send me notes and CDs of songs that she knows will help. Diane, Eileen, Karen, Eve, Jackie, Debbi, JoAnne, Gail, more than I can remember right now do the same. Everyday heroes.

Katie, though it does not seem to ring right, is a hero. Yesterday walking with her into her new hospital. Bravely lugging two plastic bags filled with her stuff. Taking a breath and saying to me " I love you." Knowing she is going to have to face a future dependent on many factors.

And last night, Sarah, the babysitter for Denver, Maya and Isaiah. Wow, now there is a hero to me. I fretted so long about getting the kids into Oasis, a Monday night ministry for children of parents who are experiencing marital strife. "Rules" kept them out and I was so frustrated and pulled every string I could, gossiped about the "rules" to no avail. Sarah took matters into her own hands. She volunteered to help in the ministry providing the kids she cared for were allowed to participate. Yesterday she drove from her home in Elgin, cared for the kids in Berwyn, brought them back to Elgin to meet her family, got them to Oasis (which they loved). Got them back to Berwyn, put them to bed and then maybe had a few minutes to herself. Moving three little kids anywhere is tough. She is tougher. When I saw her last night at church, she reminded me a combination of Katie and Laurie. Red hair done up in braids. What better caregiver? Thank you, God, for this hero. To see her pictures and perceptions of Denver, Maya and Isaiah, check out her blog. http://www.ahorapuravida.blogspot.com/

Just a few heroes...

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate Michele said...

Hello Barb Steph--(femmie) introduced me to your blog and I must say you are one of my heros. You ae so strong and always trusting in Christ through everything...you amaze me and have helped me more than you will ever know! Thanks and I'm praying for you and your family! Kate

March 14, 2006 8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb, there are way too many people who would not be plugging away for Him - don't sell yourself short. YOU are a very special woman!

March 14, 2006 8:55 AM  
Blogger shelly said...

"My friend, if I could give you one thing, I would wish for the ability to see yourself as others see you. Then you would know what a truly special person you are."
Love you.
Parking tickets and minor accidents--got nothing on us. satan's got nothing on us--cuz we are standing on God's solid ground. "pressed on every side, but not crushed"
still praying and loving you.

March 14, 2006 4:27 PM  
Blogger shelly said...

(i totally support the idea of having thin mints-or multiple thin mints for breakfast..in fact, would you mind having a couple for me? :) thanks)

March 15, 2006 12:58 PM  
Blogger Gail said...

BARB, YOU ARE MY HERO. DON'T EVER FORGET THAT... YOU ARE STRONG AND A BEACON OF HIS LOVE AND GUIDANCE. I WANT TO BE JUST LIKE YOU....GAIL

March 16, 2006 8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental