Monday, March 13, 2006

The roller coaster chugs on...

Now a week a way from the frightening events that brought Katie to being admitted to a psychiatric crisis center, I am caught up on the edge of supporting her with everything I have and knowing that the decision to get better is hers alone. We are frustrated with HIPA laws, burdened with insurance tangles but almost giddy that she is alive.

Today I will be transporting her from the place where she has been for the last week to a better facility where individualized care will begin, much different than the, excuse the expression, 'One flew over the cuckoos nest" atmosphere that prevailed. The diagnosis I long suspected, bipolar disorder, depression, psychosis is a beginning. Right meds, counseling and God, the tripod of help begins. Will it work? I can only pray.

I have asked some of my close friends to keep an eye on me. I am calling for an appointment with my counselor today. Grieving Laurie's death has been put aside and I am on overload. Tonight I AM going to Grief Support; I know I must to retain some kind of sanity.

Friends continue to let us know they are here for us in any way needed. So good to know. And through all this, I still find reasons to laugh. Friday we honored my Dad (and Mom) by finally having their remains interred at Abraham Lincoln National Cemetary. (That's not the funny part!) The ceremony was beautiful; we were moved to tears several times. And then the part we know Dad would have loved: an actual 21 gun salute. Three rifle volleys from seven elderly soldiers, instructions to cover the little ones ears. These uniformed volunteers end with a flourish where they twirl their rifles around and slam the rifle down next to their feet. Fortunately for me because I would have burst out in laughter, I could not see but one of the rifles broke into two pieces as it was slammed down. The sweet soldier picked up the two pieces and never broke stride as they marched off. Our attendant said she had never seen that happen before...

And then, Friday early evening, I am off to get to the hospital to see Katie. Stopped at a light I am reading over some of her paperwork. After a minute I realize I am not paying attention and think the light had changed and just step on the gas. Oops. Light had just changed and I rear end the car in front of me. For crying out loud, anything else? The part that makes me laugh? It turns out our accident happened just inside our village limits and I have a minute to tell the policeman who I am, does he remember the Laurie Boncimino story from last year? Tell him where I am going and he goes into amazing compassionate mode. I almost thought he was going to yell at the guy I hit for backing into me! I am not worried about the ticket; I am acutely aware I need to be extra alert when I am driving...

Here we go into a new week. Better than last Monday when I was dry heaving from exhaustion and worry. A new week, a new beginning, I have a measure of peace.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

amazing. you are amazing.

March 13, 2006 8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto. I can come up with no other word that describes who and what God has made you - amazing. Praise to Him for your faithfulness in lifting the name of Jesus in spite of seemingly endless pain on this earth. We are called to be salt and light; neither is easy - think about it, both are complex scientific concepts - but the eternal rewards are so much greater than we could know here, hold on!!
Praying intensely for Katie, praying intensely for you. May God make His will clear and keep you safe in His tender arms.
Love you,
Becky

March 13, 2006 9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you are amazing. You re-define what Faith! Seeing your faith in the Lord has made me take a deep look into mine and I realized I have gone astraye way too far and far too long. Today, I will stop by the chapel and light a candle for you and your family.

March 13, 2006 9:07 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

I am praying for you Barb, I am back home in CO. Lots of prayers. God is in control. I love you with all I have. Gail

March 13, 2006 9:32 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

OH Barb I love you so much. You are so strong, yet you have every right to be carried. Let us carry you, let us show you again and again how God is carrying you. Please. We love you unconditionally.

March 13, 2006 10:49 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I ditto what everyone else said. I think you are truly amazing. You have such strength and love for your family. Prayers are being said for you all from us here down south! *hugs*

March 13, 2006 11:08 AM  
Blogger shelly said...

yes, i agree with what everyone else said...God is so evident in your life, in each step that you so courageously take Barb...i will continue lifting you up in prayer and loving you. thank you for teaching me what it means to walk by faith.

shelly

March 13, 2006 11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb...I thank God for your faithfulness. People with much less than what you have endured and experienced give up and turn their anger toward God instead of embracing Him. This is what makes you so very special. In the midst of the worse times in your life, you acknowledge and lift Him up. I know that He can depend on you and uses you during these times to minister to so many others, myself included. You truly are amazing. My offer still stands....call for anyting. Please let Katie know that we love her and are praying for her.

May God's peace and love surround you and protect you and your loved ones.

You are loved!

In HIs Love,

EG

March 13, 2006 2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are truly admirable.

March 13, 2006 7:17 PM  
Blogger NicaGirl said...

I am still sending up prayers for you and your whole family. I know that we don't understand why these things happen and it seems like your family has had to endure more heartache in a year than people should have to endure in a lifetime. BUt I have to say you are such an inspiration that regardless of your circumstances, you keep leaning on the Lord and trusting that in all of this He would still be glorified. That's such an admirable quality and one that I honestky aspire to.
I will actually be in Chicago from tomorrow through Saturday for the Promiseland conference at Willow Creek and I would really love to meet you. Know that you are being prayed for all over the country and that your story is inspiring and encouragine many.

March 13, 2006 9:20 PM  
Blogger Barb K said...

Dear Nicagirl,
I don't know if you will check back here but I am going to be a volunteer on Thursday for the Promiseland Conference. I will be Floor Supervisor at the AMC30 where some of the breakouts are being held. Or email me at bakpak2@comcast.net and maybe we can meet at New Community on Wednesday.
Love in Him, still, Barb K.

March 13, 2006 11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental