Thursday, March 23, 2006

March 23, 1975

31 years ago today I accepted Christ as my saviour. My other birth date, my new birth into His Kingdom. What would my life be like if Brian and Sharon Killins had not invested in me and Denny those many years ago? I do not want to imagine.

I would have no assurance of someday seeing my sister Lin, again, my mom, my dad, Laurie. Too awful to dwell on. But the reality for me is knowing that I will see them and so many more again. Eternally, forever with Christ on the throne.

Irony, another twist, a God thing? Yesterday my friend Karen and I met at the nursing home where her dad had been taken to following his hospital stay. Karen asked me to come and pray with her and her dad in the morning before we both went off to work. Her dad was very weak but he recognized me right away, with "Hi, Barb". Karen and I prayed over her dad; after praying, I spoke quietly to him and asked me to tell me what he had done for work before he retired. (Of course, I knew, I just wanted him to talk.) He had been a plasterer for 50 years. We talked about all the places in Chicago he had worked on. One was Children's Memorial Hospital, his work still there. His craftsmanship still stands in many places...he left a mark and a legacy of three wonderful daughters, a marriage of 58 years, five grandchildren and a host of friends...Mr. Alluri moved into his eternal home last night with his family surrounding him. Another friend I will see some day.

Trials seem to surround us at every turn. Suffering, too. But He is on the throne. My heart tells me that my life without Him would have been so very different. At my counselor's today I spilled my guts about all that has gone on in the last three months and towards the end of my time with Glenn I said that I know people are worried about me, thinking that this seems more than one could/should be able to bear. I told him I feel okay, almost strong. Glenn, a Christian, said that this is because I have put God on the pedestal, not this mess, not the worry, just Him where He should be. Well, how about that? Simple faith. I am so thankful for that day in March 31 years ago where I said with great fear and trepidation, "Okay, Jesus, I accept your free gift, eternal life in heaven, even though I am just another fallen sinner. I get that you died for ME. You took my place when all I had earned was a sure death in hell. " Was the promise that this would be an easy road? No, but He did promise that He would be with me every step of the way.

And one more thing. When Karen and I talked on the phone this morning, what do you think she saw just outside her window? A cardinal, of course. God's little reminder, He is with us...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That descision you made long ago has had such far reaching consequences -- not just in your life, but also in your family, as well as strangers like myself who are inspired by that faith. It's amazing!

"Therefore, remember that formerly you who are Gentiles by birth...seperate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenant of promise, without hope and without God in the world. But now...you have been brought near through the blood of Christ." Ephesians 2:11-13

March 24, 2006 12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental