Thursday, June 29, 2006

Surrender Early...

SURRENDER EARLY means:
* Asking the Spirit of God to alert us when we are about to enter dangerous and untrue thinking. He will answer this prayer and provide a way of escape from the trap.
* Turning the problem over to God, surrendering, to the One who is able to handle all our concerns with wisdom and love.
* Choosing to trust and not to fear.
* Experiencing peace in knowing that God will give the wisdom you need to handle whatever comes your way.

This came in a pray letter from a dear friend, Helen Ebert, today, just when I needed it. Helen's wonderful husband Larry, was killed in a car accident while they were in Africa, about nine years ago. I remember it because it was so close to my sister's Lin's untimely death. Why, God? Why these two amazing, Spirit filled people, called home to you, so young, so much for them to do for You? Helen has gone on to raise three boys to wonderful young men, she has a ministry both here and in Africa. The first baby was born at the Larry Ebert Clinic in West Africa in May; she was named Helen ( my mom's name, too).

So what does Surrender Early mean to me right now? I only wish I was eloquent enough to write the words to describe the pain I am in. I miss Laurie with every fiber of my being; I am determined to be there for Katie, and with that, for Tommy and the kids. I am too aware of tension in the family as we tiptoe around what we face in the coming months. Pete and I just had a tough talk about how we need to communicate with each other and with the rest of the family. We are surrendering it to Him; I am choosing to trust and not to fear.

If all this was light and fluffy, it would not be real. Losing a marriage, a sister, a mom and dad and a daughter, that's a lot of pain, but I surrender it and am going to trust. God, I trust you.

9 Comments:

Blogger chryl said...

hey barb. again and again i thank god for you and for his tender care and involvement in the details surrounding your life. i know lots of times it doesn't feel that way, but we can see it.
amen and so be it.
love and hugs from asia.

June 30, 2006 4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your entry, Barb...I can't help but think that you need to sit back and take some time for you and your wonderful Pete. Your amazing energy and strength are always abounding, but sometimes we just need to take some time to rejuvenate our own spirit. Take care of yourself, please!
You constantly inspire me--
Camille

June 30, 2006 7:53 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

God is awesome. I really needed to read that. My grandfather passed away yesterday so I have been having a hard time. I,too, need to trust in the Lord and will work hard to do so. You inspire me as always...

Kim

June 30, 2006 9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb,
I don't know you - but you don't know how much you've helped me by this blog entry. I have an alcoholic father of whom I need to say "goodbye" in order to keep my own serenity - it is truly about turning it over to Him, and trusting that all will work out. Thank You.
Jenna

June 30, 2006 10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Barb: I have followed your blog for quite a few months and I have to tell you what a great example and inspiration you have been to me. The courage and faith you exemplify just inspires me to tears. I love you guys and keep you always in my prayers. I ask God to send you many blessings and keep you all safe.Love, the other grandma.

July 02, 2006 10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Felt an urgent need to pray for you and Katie .. will keep them up. Know that your family is so loved ...

July 03, 2006 9:34 PM  
Blogger Barb K said...

Dear Anonymous from July 3rd, 9:34 PM,
You were on the money praying for us...I had been caring for Denver, Maya and Isaiah earlier that evening while Katie attended a BP meeting. I made the error of taking all three to IKEA and getting them chocolate frozen yogurt cones. After picking Katie up, we decided to venture to the Arlington Hts. firework display. While most kids oohed and aahed at the sight of fireworks, D, M and I were trying to climb trees, pluck leaves and grass and make us crazed. Katie and I both saw your comment this morning and laughed when we remembred exactly what we were doing then. Thanks for the always needed and appreciated prayers. Barb

July 04, 2006 3:22 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Thought and prayed for you all yesterday. Hope things are well :)

July 05, 2006 3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb.........there is so much that I would like to say to you as I have just come from a trip to Chicago and thinking of Laurie every step of my trip...........please if you will, e-mail me an address where I might write you a letter and send a card. Thanks so much, Marla from Anchorage alaska

academicvita@yahoo.com

July 11, 2006 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental