Saturday, February 25, 2006

This week ahead is one I have been told to anticipate and plan for. Plan on doing things that will have meaning and help us absorb that it is has truly been a year since that first phone call from Kristin saying, "Laurie didn't show up for the astronomy exam."...

At first I did not think I wanted to go down to Lake Michigan but I have changed my mind. Kristin and I are going to meet after her class and be down there around 11:30 or so. The time on a receipt we found in the Jeep showed Laurie stopped and bought some orange juice at a little shop not far from where she left the Jeep at 11:32AM that day. The Jeep was parked by the Art Institute; did she visit there? We won't ever really know but I like to think that even in her confused state of mind, she chose to look at beauty in her final hours. If others choose to join us by the lake, I think that would be fine.

I wrote about maybe doing a balloon launch back on February 7th and that is what we are going to do. Since we have a helium tank and plenty of balloons and this was Laurie's home all her life, it is logical that we will release balloons from 921 Belmar Lane. 5:00 PM is the time we would like to do this since it is still light and one more piece from her note, she had waited until dark to go to the lake. In Greg's blog he wrote about Ashley taking some of Laurie's ashes to be sprinkled at Disney World at the same time. I like that idea.

The balloons will have Laurie's card attached and as we release them, I think it would be great if we could express some memory of Laurie or some way she influenced us. And it is my hope that those balloons land somewhere to be found by someone who needs to hear her story. We plan on having dinner here for whoever wants to join us. If this is something you want to do, please know you are invited. And for those who don't live close by, maybe you can print the card and do your own little ceremony.

And the last piece of that day reflects Laurie's love for reaching out to the homeless. Our recent PADS update, among many needs, said there was a need for 25 lunches on March 2nd to be given to those guests who will stay at Willow PADS site this Thursday. The lunches are given to the guests as they leave early Friday morning. The sacks can be decorated with verses, stickers etc. I think some of Laurie's written words would be perfect to add to the lunchbags.

And in the sadness, there is joy. Joy in a life well lived, a young woman who had love for her family, love for her friends, love for the Father and Son. Twenty amazing years. And it is a time to celebrate other lives, too. Our dear friend John's birthday is March 2nd and so is our new little World Vision daughter, Lizzie Kahata. (See my Jan. 18th blog) She will be four. May her life be blessed.

Okay, I'm ready, I think...

10 Comments:

Blogger Eve said...

I have to work thursday but would like to come by after if that is ok. I'll miss the balloon launch since I work til 5. Love as always! Eve

February 25, 2006 5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be here at school, but know I am so with you in spirit. Is it possible that it's been a year already? Still unbelievable. "Come to Jesus" was on the radio today- made me think of Laurie, especially as we drove by a Jeep dealership while it played. What a great life she led.

Thinking and praying for you. You never cease to amaze me, Barb. Love you bunches!
Lisa

February 25, 2006 11:07 PM  
Blogger Jackie R. said...

Just know that I / we will be praying praying praying praying... wishing we were in IL to join you all.

February 27, 2006 12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is so rough. my heart breaks for you. you are wonderful, i adore this site - and i adore the little glimpse of the graceful life that you lead that you allow me to have. it is amazing to me that you have the drive and will to get up each and every morning determinded to live for HIM. you are a role model to more looking eyes than you could ever ever be aware. i'll be thinking of you in the next coming week, month, and year. you amaze me.

February 27, 2006 2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im not sure if this is a to personal question, but what was the exact date that laurie went to go dnace with the angels?
praying for your family always

February 27, 2006 4:58 PM  
Blogger Barb K said...

To Anonymous, Feb 27th 4:58 PM. Nothing is too personal if somehow it brings glory to Him. We believe Laurie began her dance on March 2nd, sometime after dark; her body was not recovered until March 5th. That is why the discrepancy in dates. Her death certificate reads March 5th.
In Him, Barb

February 27, 2006 8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about you and your family a lot lately. I'll be praying for you this week. I wish I could be around this week, but I'm at school.

I'll be home over the summer and I'd love to talk with you at some point. Just catch up, and hear about your journey over this last year, as well as talk with you about mine.

love you guys - Bowman

February 27, 2006 9:36 PM  
Blogger NicaGirl said...

I wanted to let you know that I will be keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers this week. I have to say I really admire how you want to use all of this to give glory to God. I know your journey has touched so many people and you are such a shining example of Christ's peace and love.
I will be lifting you up in prayer.
In Him,
Meg
PS I am actually going to be out at Willow Creek March 14-17 for the Promiseland Conference.

February 27, 2006 11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous 2/27 @ 2:49 pm - My words exactly.

Barb, your journals are so inspirational.
Through this site you are taking us there with you:
back to the day when Laurie ended her earthly existence and all of the days that you have courageously borne since then.
Thank you for allowing us to share these experiences with you and your wonderful family. I think you have gained some "prayer associates" along the way; count me among them. I pray that God gives you the strength to get through the coming days.

March 01, 2006 12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb...I will be praying for you all this next coming week,Yes, of course it's going to be a difficult one, But I love that you are doing the balloon launch, what an amazing idea!! (And, tribute to Laurie!) Just know that I think of you often, and my prayers are with you always! I hope to chat soon...Love in Him, Dana

March 01, 2006 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental