Friday, March 18, 2005

Where I am tonight...

Yesterday was a tough one. Work in the morning, then off to Harper College for the memorial service Harper College had for Laurie. Kristin and I attended together. It was amazing to hear and see her fellow students and teachers seeing Laurie in the same light we had seen over the many days preceeding. They loved her, too and missed her as much.

So sweet...lots of the students and one of the teachers wore flip flops in Laurie's honor. Emily Jones, a fellow Motorola Scholarship winner wore a Cubs shirt and her flip flops and samg Tears in Heaven. Laurie's guitar teacher said a few words about Laurie's support of him and then played a beautiful guitar peice. Three of La's closest teachers spoke about her; her love for knowledge, going the extra mile, staying after class to share a thought or word of encouragement, that brilliant smile. "The Perfect Student". Reminding us about various speeches, the "My Hero" speech, about me; the speech where she brought in MacDonald's hamburgers for the entire class but asked them to wait to eat until she finished her speech about the fast food industry. Almost all the hamburgers landed in the garbage and Jeff, the professor says he has not eaten fast food since! Tha's persuasive. A candle lighting, flowers, moment of silence, student sharing, donations to "Make A Wish", and the whys, what was going on in her head that no one heard, the emploring to visit Harper's pysch help if needed. For me, it was just sweet and sad...she loved it there.

Then returning home, I remember the funeral home had called and the ashes were ready to be picked up. Urghhh. Driving there I remembered when Gram had died and Laurie and Pete had gone to pick up Gram's remains and Laurie had asked" Should we buckle her up?"

After a discussion with Alan, our funeral director guy, telling me we defied the funeral stats norm. Usually a large wake has about half the number at the funeral, due to work/other obligations. Laurie's had roughtly a thousand people at both. So I am given Laurie's ashes in a beautiful wooden box about 11"x8"x5". Back in the car, I buckled her (the box) in, tied a random pink ribbon in the car around the box and drove off. Where to? No place I had to be yet so we just drove past Cutting Hall where she had performed in "Sound of Music", over to her Starbucks, then the overlook and around all the driveways at Willow, past the church on Algonquin where she had surprised the folks in the basement having a prayer meeting long ago, Embers restaurant, then all the way around Harper college talking out loud to her as we went. Over by Marlowe's restaurant, more fun times, past Frembd High School. Past Alemar's where she ate her last meal with her dad on Oct. 11th, 1998, past his house, heading back towards 921 Belmar, first driving by Long Grove Manor, the nursing home she loved, then Tom Anderlik's house, Steve Downs' house, Becky Fuller's house, Willow Grove School, Twin Groves School and at last up the driveway. I carried that box in thinking, "I carried her in here by myself 20 years ago and now here I am again cradling her in my arms...I love this amazing Laura Leanne Boncimino so much."

5 Comments:

Blogger Brian Steck said...

Ahhh. Laura Leanne Boncimino (Always the question of whether or not to capitalize the A in "Anne" :)

I've had to do a bit of talking myself. There are times when I busy myself with other things; but every once in a while, I know I need to process a bit more.

For a while, after we stopped dating, I had to put up a wall to protect my heart. All the way up to that Christmas Day phone call announcing her engagement, my hopes would jump inside me at the slightest chance of her wanting to walk back into my life. But after that, I knew it was time to let go.

Now, I've had to unlock that door and push over the protective walls to get back to that love that I kept pent up. I'm finding how much I'm in love with her family. If somehow those million-and-one qualities that drew me to Laurie weren't there, her family would have drawn me to her. But Laurie WAS those "million-and-one" traits... and I'm still finding love from them. And, gracefully, I'm being reminded daily (just as I used to share with my friends) of all the things that I adore about her. I laugh more and more, about the quirky sides of my best friend. And I'm soo thankful that I had the privelege of knowing her at all.

Oh, wait. This isn't my blog. Oops.

I love you Barb.

Thanks for sharing "from your heart".

March 19, 2005 1:59 AM  
Blogger Eve said...

I'm so glad you started this.
It doesn't mean I don't want to connect in a real way...
Last night I went to bed thinking I just wanted to talk with you and this morning I got to hear from you.
I love you Barb. I pray your heart is being taken care of as you get it stretched more and more.

March 19, 2005 7:45 AM  
Blogger Bigger than Me said...

Mom, you are so...you are so unlike any woman on earth. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: when I grow up, I want to be just like my Mom. By the way, I like the bow...it's Laur.

Love you always,
Katie

March 19, 2005 8:13 AM  
Blogger Greg Boncimino said...

Mom,

Thanks for sharing your day and your heart with us. How completely amazing. I remember that day 20 years ago -- I was a loopy 15-year old trying to figure out if I could somehow be a 'dad' figure (at least until Pete came along).

I have always marveled at how you pulled us through. Only difference is that now the rest of the world gets to see that too. I love you.

Greg

March 19, 2005 9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know Laurie personally but I understand what it means to lose someone you love, especially unexpectedly. She was such a beautiful girl on the outside and although I never knew her personally, she seemed like an inspiration to all. I wish she would have known how loved she was and cared for by so many people. If she didn't understand the depth of the love so many people had for her before, she definately does now. Know that Laurie is looking down on you and smiling. She is at peace. Sometimes, we don't realize our loved ones are there right away, but we feel it eventually. She very much looked like an angel and I am sure she is being just that. You will never stop thinking about her. The pain will get lesser but it will never go away. Know that Laurie will be a part of your heart and soul forever and will be watching you on earth loving you, until the day you will be reunited with her in heaven.

March 30, 2005 10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental