Thursday, May 25, 2006

It's a good thing I love to drive...I rack up an amazing number of miles every week. Saturday was a great example. I had a chance to have breakfast with my sweet friend Shelly who was home from Colorado for her sister's graduation. From our meeting at Cracker Barrel in Kenosha, WI I returned to Buffalo Grove and then on to Berwyn to pick up Denver, Maya and Isaiah and Katie, then off to Elgin, twice, to pick up Katie's belongings, stored there. Back to Buffalo Grove, then to Rosemont to drop Katie at the train station, then back to Buffalo Grove. Probably a 200 mile day.

Would I have changed any of it? No, each piece was an important trip. Sharing with Shelly the hard week she faces. Today is the 1st anniversary of her mom's death. Traveling with Katie as she begins small steps to take back her life. Listening to the kids in the back seat watching "Chronicles of Narnia" (or Barnacles of Narnia as Isaiah calls it.) on the little portable DVD player. Acknowledging my own irritation at having to go to Elgin twice, all part of the journey...

And yesterday, driving some more. This time driving Katie to her counseling appointment with Denver and Isaiah in tow. Chicago to Berwyn to Schaumburg. The boys and I enjoying a cool McDonald's Playland while we waited. Then Schaumburg back to Berwyn when what to our wondering eyes should appear but a rainbow in the eastern sky! Katie and I look at each other remembering last week when we pulled into the counselor's parking lot we saw another rainbow! I am choosing to believe God is reminding us that He is with us. We are on the journey and He is with us. And proof that we are not doing this alone, Katie holds a copy of all the comments left for her on this blog. This is big, He is bigger!

5 Comments:

Blogger Gail said...

Very cool. I just pray and pray that God's will is done here. I know He loves Katie, and wants her to be with her children and husband. Life is hard, but it is so much easier with God in control of it all.

May 25, 2006 8:19 AM  
Blogger Larry and Steph said...

Barb,

I thought of you the other day. I started my morning out by driving 20 minutes to my boyfriend's parents' home. On the way I saw a black jeep and a red one...both signs to me that remind me of God's presence and of two very special women. I had to smile as I thought of them and of you. Then as I pulled in the drive and parked my jeep, a cardinal landed on my hood and sat staring at me. I found such peace just sitting and staring back at the beautiful bird...and I thought of you and your amazing strength. Thanks to you I'm learning to see God in so many places...all because I no longer rush by without a pause. Thank you for being you, Barb, and for sharing your story...your life. Please know that I'm praying for you each day, for your family, and for Katie.

Steph

May 25, 2006 8:47 AM  
Blogger Greg Boncimino said...

Mom,
I'm so proud of you. I'm continually amazed by your energy and humbled by your selflessness. Thank you for continuing to invest so heavily in Kate, and D,M, & I.

Your eldest

May 25, 2006 9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb....You are the epitome of a Mother's unconditional love for her children. You give and give and give and never ask for anything in return other than to uphold and pray for others and them. Thank you for always reminding your readers what it means to trust and obey.

My prayers are with you and Katie.

In His Love,

Eileen G.

May 25, 2006 10:50 AM  
Blogger shelly said...

Went on a 6 mile walk this morning, thought it was about time I start training for the overnight--and was thinking about and praying for you. Thanks for all your love and support not only this past week but this past year. I love you so so much.

:) Shelly

May 29, 2006 2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental