Monday, December 26, 2005

"Twas the night after Christmas"

" Twas the night after Christmas and all through my heart
the pain was immense; it tore me apart.
Her stocking was hung with the others with care
in hopes that by morning she would be there.
The children were nestled, snug in their beds
While visons of memories taunted my head.
As Pete lay there peaceful in the pleasures of sleep,
I curled up in a chair to silently weep.
I felt so afflicted, my heart was so battered...
I wanted to hold her again---nothing else mattered.
I welled up with anger; my teeth I felt gnash;
for where was the power to heal my heart's gash?
'Come quickly, dear Master! Help lighten this load,
for I think in a moment my heart will explode!
Oh Father, dear Father, You're my only hope.
Carry me, Jesus, as I learn to cope.'
Then gently and peacefully His love came down;
the warmth of His presence I felt all around.
To the world I still sat alone in my chair,
but I knew that my Savior was holding me there.
He had no visual figure, no white-robed ghost;
He was inside my heart where I needed Him most.
I saw the power of Glory---no facial details---
and His strong hands of comfort bore the scars of the nails.
For God, the Father, has too felt this pain---
His child also suffered; in death he was lain.
Then sent He an angel to the tomb where He lay
to accompany Jesus as He rose to the sky.
Then my soul heard the Spirit say, 'See, all is not lost;
your Laurie's with Jesus---there was life on the cross.'
I now had the strength to wipe tears from my face.
My Christmas gift was His love and His grace.
And as I lay my head down on my pillow tonight
I'll feel the true knowledge---she is all right.
'Oh, thank You, dear Father, for the gift of His birth,
and the gift of life once we leave this earth!' "

adapted from Bereaved Parents Share

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Barb,
Again, I return to your site as I was thinking of your family and the tragedy of this first Christmas without your beautiful baby girl.
Again, I am amazed at how you are sharing your pain and glory for total strangers to see. You truly are a courageous mom.
Again, we have never met and I feel invasive as I read your entries...but I do believe that is why you have this site-and I wept at your rendition of "The night before..."
May the beauty of your growing family and the challenges you face keep you looking up and charging forward. All the best to you, and I'm sure I will return.

December 27, 2005 9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental