Friday, December 23, 2005

Who Am I ?

I just had an uplifting moment brought on by reading the blog of a new friend in FL, Kim, and listening to the words of "Who Am I?" Since I am not a techno wizard, I will just put her blog address here and hope for the best: http://bumpyroadsontheway.blogspot.com/ The words pierce right into my heart. Who am I but a woman who God wants as His daughter and He cares about every aspect of my life, the good, the bad, the tragic and the hopeful. He cares and I know it.

As I was typing this, another uplifting moment occurred. A group of Laurie's close friends from Student Impact, now all in college, showed up at our front door to sing us Christmas carols. Each of their faces reflected back, Christ's love; made me know that Laurie's life had meaning. That these college kids could have been doing anything but they came to let us know they remembered , they cared. We gathered into a tight circle and Josiah prayed for us, for all of us and specifically for Katie and Tommy and their kids. It was a sweet, sweet time.

And as I reflect on even the last 24 hours, I am encouraged. Katie and I met for dinner last night, a dinner that lasted 4 hours. It is not for me to divulge all, but the one thing I really came away knowing is that she is determined to get all the help she can to process her life and her choices and grow out of that. She is so not a monster or someone to judge. She is a young woman who has been dealt a lot of loss, has made some radical choices and has had to come to grips with who she is, really.

If I learned nothing from Laurie's death, I know this one thing. Our words mean so much and can do so much damage or can serve to encourage in meaningful ways. I will choose as much as I am able to encourage. And ultimately, I pray for God to get the glory through it all. He is our refuge and our strength.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb you do not know me but you inspire me not only as a woman but as a mother. We share different faiths but we both love Jesus. When I am feeling like my life is getting out of control I read your blog and it reminds me how precious my children are and that I need to charish each moment with then instead of wanting to run away.I know people say what would Jesus do but sometimes I think what would Barb do. Kind of corny but you are truly a loving forgiving mother and I hope that as my children grow I will grow with them and be able to be as great of a woman and mother that you are. Merry Christmas.

December 24, 2005 12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Barb and Family! It's been a while since we have spoken, but I think about you everyday!! All My Love and Prayers are with you!! I will be in touch soon...Love in Him, Dana

December 24, 2005 8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Barb....

Merry Christmas! Jesus loves you this I know as do so many others. Praying that this will be a good for you and your family.

In His Love,

Eileen G.

December 25, 2005 12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so thankful we got to have breakfast barb. thanks for the sweet message(s) you left today. it meant a lot.

thinking of you
praying for you
and loving you lots

shelly

December 25, 2005 8:26 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

That song has touched me so much. I am glad it touched you as well.

I thought about you guys this weekend and prayed for you. I continue to pray for you.

Hugs and love,
Kim

December 26, 2005 9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental