Wednesday, January 30, 2008

California Dreamin'

It made me smile to log on tonight from my hotel room and see the comments saying I was missed. I had just gotten off the phone with Pete and texting with Katie, both of them saying they missed me too.

I just arrived here in California this afternoon where I am going to be working at a conference in Anaheim for a few days. The break is good; I need to clear my head a bit. What I forgot when I arrived at the John Wayne Airport was that the last time I landed here was three years ago. Laurie was already here to stand up for a friend's wedding and things at that wedding did not go great...old details, old news, fresh pain, remembering that time.

I am in a heightened sensitivity/awareness of her loss...last night was the first night of the winter session of Grief Support. It is always a tough night with new faces, new stories of heartbreaking loss and as the small group leader of a child loss table, I tell our story first. Even as I spend three minutes or so describing what happened, I still can't believe it. When I tell the others at my table that I so wish they did not have to be there, we all get it. Not in our wildest, most terrifying nightmare do we allow ourselves to think about losing our child. And if there were any way in the world we could have prevented whatever happened, we would have.

On the plane I read almost all of Shauna Niequist's book, Cold Tangerines. There is a chapter where she and her mother are taking a course and are sharing a hotel room when they get a call that Shauna's brother, Todd has been in a car accident, this just weeks after his best friend had died in a car wreck. Shauna describes what happened right after that call when they knew that although it had been close, Todd was fine. Her mother, Lynne, begins to sob, deep gut wrenching sobs. Lynne went over to where Shauna sat on her bed and they both put their hands over Shauna's pregnant belly and Lynne cries to her not yet born grandson, Henry to be careful, be careful, be careful, Little Henry. It is a powerful moment for Shauna knowing the ferocity of a mother's love and the heart stopping terror of losing a chikd. If only we could always protect our children from all things...to have superhuman strength, knowledge, never let them out of our sight.

It comes down to trusting that God knows the story; He does not promise we will escape tragedy but He will see us through it. I have to admit though, I am doing a little California dreaming...dreaming that life could be easier, easier for so many I know right now, me included.
I'm going to sleep now...maybe in my dreams?????

8 Comments:

Blogger Camille said...

Well, we know it's warmer where you are than back here!

I happened on your sister's blog and read that you had a birthday a few weeks ago. Happy (belated) Birthday to you, Barb! Hope the coming year brings you sunshine and continued peace!

~Camille

January 30, 2008 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb,
Hoping things become easier for you ... thinking about you and your family all the time. Glad you decided to post, you have been missed.

January 30, 2008 10:02 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

Sister, California. AAAHHHHH do have lots of fun. I miss you too from last week. Wish I was with you in CA.
Life....Hell on Earth..sometimes. Not always. I just look forward to being in heaven and eternal life with Jesus. Right? At least you don't have chickens..and you didn't fall down any stairs.Ha Ha. I love you with all my being..Love, Gail

January 30, 2008 7:07 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

You are so strong Barb. Many many people envy your strength and ability to keep going. Don't ever forget how many people love you and are thinking about you at all times.

January 31, 2008 1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb - I've been a lurker for some time now, and my name is Tammy from Alexandria, VA.

I am so touched that you decided to post and share from your heart once again with the people here.

I'm so sorry for your pain, but I am incredibly inspired by how God using your story. Thank you for sharing.

February 03, 2008 6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb...wow, i really never know what to say after reading your blogs, except...thank you...for being real and letting me in a little.

February 03, 2008 9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You ok?

February 05, 2008 4:04 PM  
Blogger sabrina in mexico! said...

barb, i just read cold tangerines as well. i loved it.
i hope you guys are doing well, and am very glad you're home safe .
sabrina

February 07, 2008 1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental