Thursday, June 21, 2007

Father's Day, Camp...And more.

Today is the longest day of the year. Did you notice you long it stayed light? It is also my cousin Ray's birthday and that I only remembered because it was the day after my sister Lin's birthday. Lin, dear sweet Lin, would have been 57, almost catching up to me. Can it really be almost 10 years since she has been gone? So many times I still think that I can call her up and catch her up on the latest and get some of her Godly wisdom.

Life seems full right now. Father's Day was fun and honoring and wistful. Some dads no longer here (mine), some getting old (Pete's), some just nutty (Chris), some estranged...but still a day where we were pointed to the man who hopefully built character into us...mine did. And it was a day filled with anticipation as young Denver (a shrimpy 8 year old) began his first day at Lake Geneva Youth Camp to stay for six days! Pete and I loved how after we helped him choose his bunk and met his counselor, he siddled next to us and said, "You can go now." He was ready. We were not.

And though this was a really busy work week, I am gladdened by the solid friendships I have been able to build into my work relationships. Two dinners this week with guys I have known for over over 15 years; both solid good men. And realizing how lucky I am to have the job I have that brings in enough dollars but allows me to have a life too. And there have been some deep financial situations just this week but also the knowledge that we will be okay.

And now the crazed anticipation of the Malaysian Bonicminos arriving in just a few days. Aah, the fun we have planned, starting with a Cubs game Monday night, made all the sweeter knowing some of Laurie's ashes have been scattered in many places at Wrigley Field! Her spirit will be right there with us.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gail said...

Hi Barb, I miss you . We are in Idaho right now....I loved your pictures and blog...Love, Gail

June 23, 2007 1:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Barb, I will be at the game Monday nite too, maybe we will see each other!

June 23, 2007 12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental