Thursday, June 14, 2007

Oh, that I could REALLY write...

If I could really pour out my heart, what wonderful words I would write...and if those words could bring glory to God, wouldn't that be so amazing? Instead, I hunt and peck at the keyboard, writing what is on my mind just then. Not always interesting, not always grammatically correct or even spelled right (and this from a former high school yearbook editor) but what I am feeling in this journey at the moment.

Today I got to serve at the Arts Conference as floor supervisor for the Point Leader track for the Willow Creek Association. What an honor! I got to meet a couple hundred guests, make sure they got their food, went to the right breakout room, had hassle-free breaks and got safely on their buses. I also had a surprise meeting with friends of the Malaysian Bonciminos here from Texas. (Hi, Jordan and Jack.) And really sweet was meeting the speakers: Gordan MacDonald (Rebuilding Your Broken World, Renewing Your Spiritual Passion, A Resilient Life), John Townsend (Boundaries, Hiding From Love), Efrem Smith (Raising Up Young Heroes, The Hip-Hop Church), Nancy Beach (An Hour On Sunday), John Ortberg ( Too many to write here but one especially meaningful to us, When the Game is Over, It All Goes Back In the Box), Nancy Ortberg, so amazing in all her teachings. And last night, listening to Donald Miller (Blue Like Jazz, Searching for God Knows What). Gee whiz...these folks are making deep impacts...I saw today a reflection of God in them. They never wanted to be led away for their lunch time if it meant stopping to talk to one of the guests who wanted to speak further with them. Gordan MacDonald said to me something like. "These are people that need to be heard." It was so cool.

And then on the ride home I heard that Ruth Bell Graham had passed away. Can you even imagine what it was like to be the biggest influence (besides, God, of course) on the most dynamic evangelical of the century? Her life is a testimony of God's faithfulness. And this is one of her books Prodigals and Those Who Love Them. I am thinking that it will not be long before Billy Graham passes, as well. Their love story is another gripping story.

We all have stories, every single one of us. Will mine be the best I can create? Lord, that it would be so...

2 Comments:

Blogger Gail said...

Dear Sister, You have met a lot of wonderful authors. But...I have always said with your amazing life, and good and bad experiences, YOU should could write a book or two. You have been to Africa!!! You have so many cool stories. Put them in a book!!!!At least three chapters could be about Dad and his crazy stories. Barb, I am serious. I bet with all your wisdom, your book would be a best seller. I love you so much..Gail

June 15, 2007 8:09 PM  
Blogger NicaGirl said...

Hey Barb! Our Music Team Director was at the arts conference as well as a few others from our church. They said it was fantastic. Hopefully next year more of us from the Music Team may be going. I would love to get back to Willow so who knows, maybe I will get there too!
Love,
meg

June 17, 2007 4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental