Friday, February 09, 2007

GM Gets Educated and Gets Smart...

Last night as Pete and I were driving over to Willow for our PADS night, I was rolling over in my brain if I wanted to take the GM ad deal a step further by contacting media. We acquired many media contacts when Laurie was missing and I started thinking maybe this was a piece that needed elevating. Suicide prevention and the necessary education about prevention has high importance to our family.

Well, good news...GM and AFSP have come to an agreement and are pulling the ad as it has been shown.

Here is the letter I just received via email:


Earlier this week the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention asked General Motors to pull an advertisement and cease any further promotion and marketing of an ad, which featured a GM factory robot who gets laid off, becomes depressed and then makes a suicide attempt.

This morning our Foundation had several constructive conversations with GM Executives, and I am pleased to announce that GM has decided to pull the ad, including plans to air it on upcoming television programs and on the company’s website.

GM has indicated that they will be revising the ad, removing the scene with the suicide attempt and any implication of suicide before re-releasing the ad in the future.

AFSP and GM have issued a joint statement about the company’s decision and our support of it.

AFSP applauds General Motors for taking these actions. It is difficult to find organizations that listen. GM did by responding to the concerns of those touched by mental illness and suicide.

Thank you to everyone who joined with us in expressing concerns about the ad.

Our collective actions have raised awareness, and will help make our country more sensitive to the issues of mental illness and suicide.

Bob Gebbia
Executive Director
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention


Good. I feel better.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb...while I watched the superbowl and that ad came up I immediately thought of you and said how sick can GM be...then I thought of any family that has lost a loved one to jumping off a bridge or suicide..and it made me mad..I thought to myself I can see Barb writing a blog about this one.

February 09, 2007 8:57 PM  
Blogger Gail said...

Wow, Cool. I am so glad they are taking the ad off the air. How stupid it was anyway. God Rules!!!!

February 09, 2007 9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This year's Super Bowl ads were a study in bad taste- from the GM to the Snickers ad. Bravo to all who voiced their offense at the commercials!

February 09, 2007 11:16 PM  
Blogger NicaGirl said...

That is so great that they took it off the air and off their website! At least that's something. Do you know if GM issued any sort of official apology for the ad as well?

February 10, 2007 12:00 AM  
Blogger Alexandria said...

barb.
please pray for me. im going through a rough time right now.

thanks
alex

February 12, 2007 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental