Friday, February 02, 2007

February 2nd...

Though today the groundhog, reportedly did not see his shadow and therefore, we will have an early spring, the day did not feel like it. It is so cold, roughly 10 degrees most of the day. Layers, scarves, gloves are not to-be-forgotten items dealing with the frozen tundra. Really ugly are the salt covered cars and we went out on a frozen limb and had Pete's Jeep, Katie's van and my car washed. I have visions of us tomorrow morning with a hairdryer trying to open car doors.

Today would also have been my Grandpa Pope's birthday. What a cool man he was, really someone I have such great memories of. And today is my nephen-in-law's birthday. Happy Birthday, Jim. And it is the second of the month, now 23 months since Laurie's death. Following the pattern of a few months ago, I am spending each month thinking of Laurie at each progressive age. This month I am remembering her at 4 years old, hence, the wedding pictures. Laurie and Kristin were both four when Pete and I got married.

Laurie was all smiles on our wedding day almost 18 years ago until it was time to walk down the aisle. That's when she froze and my best friend Diane, my matron of honor, took her hand and walked her down. Just today, Diane and her daughter, Dee, Laurie's best friend, and I had lunch together. In a few short days, my buddy Diane is moving to Colorado. I am really going to miss our lunches but I know she will be back often and we still have our email!

The topper to today was tonight experiencing melancholy and then mayhem. Katie and I were talking about the need for slow and deliberate and nonpressured processing of all that is going on with her. Then in about a three minute period, things went nutso. First I found mouse droppings (YUCK!)in a kitchen drawer. (The poor mice are probably seeking warmth from the bitter cold but NOT in my house.)Katie showed the kids how a mouse trap works by having a pen act as the mouse. Plastic flew everywhere. Isaiah retrieved cheese from the fridge but did not close the drawer which then got caught on the door shelf which broke and sent stuff flying all over. Denver had the swell idea to lure a mouse to the egg slicer covered with cheese where he would then squish the mouse in the slicer. (Yuck, again.) At about this point, Katie set the trap and of course it snaps on her finger as she sets it down. Meantime, the twins who both had three shots each today at the doctors' are wailing off and on. I am busy vacuuming mouse leavings, doing a load of dish towels when the basket of assorted candies hidden from a 7, 5 and 3 year old hits the floor sending M & M's bouncing everywhere with same 7, 5 and 3 year old trying to wolf down as many as possible. Geesch. Is it time for bed yet?

3 Comments:

Blogger Gail said...

Mice? Gross. I've had them. I read this and think, they are making memories. Good and bad. Something to share with them when they are older. And as for Diane coming to Colorado, yippie, maybe now you guys will come out to visit us all. Barb, I don't know how you do it, but you do. You are awesome. I love you....Gail

February 03, 2007 9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing these very special moments in your life with all of us. I think the world is a better place because of you and the great things you do.

February 03, 2007 5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh!!!! What a story! You have a way of telling them, Barb.

I hope the little critters are gone for good from your house; they're only cute in Disney movies - or, as you said, in somebody else's house.

Hope Katie is feeling back to normal. OUCH! That had to hurt. It's amazing her finger wasn't broken from the pressure of the thing snapping down on her finger.

Prayers going up for you all.

February 06, 2007 6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental