Monday, January 22, 2007

Unfolding the laundry...

I think I have aired more laundry via my blog than I ever thought possible. I know I am often probably way more open about family affairs than most people would be, but that is how I am wired up. My life is pretty much an open book and I guess my hope is that sometimes someone can read what is here and think, "Okay, she's going on another day. I guess I can, too."

Over the last two years, we have been hit with some gale force winds. "God is in control" has been my mantra, even though so many times, I could see no good coming out of a situation. Katie's diagnosis of bipolar was frightening, the announcement of twins on the way, was bewildering, the divorce, sickening. My prayer always has been that as a family we could still carry on in this "New normal". And mostly, we have.

So more laundry is getting unfolded...and it is good. Katie and the twins are now living here. She has made the move wisely, seeking counsel, seeking a safe place. Though details would be interesting, they are not necessary. God IS in control.

Today I read Greg's blog about Myanamar (or however you spell it) and Ashley's where she writes beautifully about her new friends. And Brooke's blog about the almost trip to Viet Nam with Habitat for Humanity. Amazing and inspiring and cause to know again, He IS in control. Tonight was my first night back leading a child loss small group at Willow's Grief Support. We shared our stories of "what happened" and you can not believe the depth of pain, but I walked away tonight, knowing they will make it through. He IS in control and doesn't give a hoot about what our laundry looks like flying all over. He just cares about us. And the funny thing is though I love all my towels folded and stacked a certain way, it just doesn't matter. If we pull the laundry out of the basket, out of the dryer and onto our backs or from a neat stack, it still will cover us, dry us, give off the sweet smell of a fresh, clean start. Cool.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm relieved to hear Katie and the babies are with you guys. And I think you're right, Barb: you show people that a) being a Christian does not mean living a life untouched by pain, and that b) God meets us in our pain and helps us to wake up every morning and continue living, even when that pain seems unbearable. This is a sick, twisted, fallen world, but we have a mighty God who reaches down and guides us through. Amen for that!

January 23, 2007 6:04 PM  
Blogger Yvette said...

Thank you for sharing your "new normal". It took a while to learn, but every family is different and unique - and only He is in any position to judge. You're brave for airing your laundry and I admire your strength, understanding, and faith - I admire you're entire family for being strong, open, and loving!
Best Wishes.

January 23, 2007 7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right in this entry. I love how you write. I can relate to so many things! You are such a wonderful mom and grandma. I am glad that Katie was able to seek help from you. I remember moving back home after I left my daughter's father. Instead of my mom making me feel like a failure, she welcomed me with open arms.

Just like God does. He opens up his arms to us and never turns away.

~Kim

January 23, 2007 8:43 PM  
Blogger Alexandria said...

I love that your sharing your joys, hopes, pains and loss, You have a gift for sharing your expierences, and i admire that. I will continue to think of you often!
God Bless

January 24, 2007 12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only person who would have taken me back after the stunts I'd pulled as a young adult was my mom. She died when I was 25 and believe me, my life swirled around me like a cyclone for several years after--still hits sometimes. Barb- you are an incredible mother and all of your children are so very fortunate to have you as theirs.
Those who are left in my family love to judge and decide what is right for me...I have a wonderful husband and two beautiful young daughters--yet in the eyes of some, I'm still fair game for picking on. I've decided I will not let them spoil my life any more, they will not take the joy that I possess. They cannot make decisions for me and be angry if I don't conform to their liking.
Barb, thank you for showing me that love IS unconditional, just like my mom knew how to love me. And hug those beautiful little babies again, too!

~Camille

January 24, 2007 12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

I learned of Laurie’s story and your blog from JoAnn. Not by coinsidence, what started out as an interview regarding public relations resulted in an exchange of third-party testimonies between the two of us. I just want to let you and your family know that your strength and ability to see God through the storm is ideal. It’s never easy loosing a love one, especially a child, but it’s even harder to trust in God and seek understanding during the process. May God continue to bless you and your family.

ADS

January 26, 2007 11:14 AM  
Blogger Eve said...

You encourage me to press on all the time because of your disclosure and honesty. I know it is so more than just me...Thank you! Loves you much!

January 26, 2007 1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental