Monday, September 11, 2006

Sept. 11th

It's been building...the tension of remembering what it all meant, what does it continue to mean. Pete and I went Thursday night to see World Trade Center. Weirdly, we were the only people in the entire AMC theater. To see it all unfold on the giant screen, sitting right smack in the middle of the theater, hearing those sounds and then being inspired by the heroism shown there, overwhelming. And like I tend to do, I went online and verified parts of the movie I wondered about, reread the Newsweek magazine from Aug 11th, sat last night and watched hours of coverage from those days. The thousands of families directly affected by the tragic events, the millions affected indirectly.

How differently we think about things now. Having Greg and Cheryl and the girls in Malaysia, are they safe? Listening to son Chris' experience as he was given the opportunity to pray in a mosque with two muslim coworkers. My regret at not really understanding politics like I should. The innocence we all had that morning before the first plane struck; the fears, the sadness that overtook; the patriotic fervor that replaced the fear. And now, where are we? Where am I?

I guess I will take words from our friend Marty's Great Day Addendum:

"Now more than ever, men and women should be re-evaluating their lives and their priorities. Now more than ever, perhaps more than ever before, people in our nation and in our world should be searching for answers…searching to fill the hole in their hearts… and the void in their lives. Now more than ever, people should be searching… searching for hope…searching for peace… searching for God. Now more than ever, we are in need of men and women of faith to step out of the darkness and into the light, willing to share their faith… their hearts… their lives. Now more than ever, we need believers to get off the bench and get out of the pew and do something…

One man… One woman… with faith… can make a difference. With Jesus, we can do anything."

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” – Philippians 4:13

“But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” – Isaiah 40:31NIV

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Barb: Your such an inspiration. And yes, I've been re-evaluating my life, and goals and hope in the future. You make it a little easier. Love you guys, God Bless you and yours always. And yes, I wish I could bring Cher and Greg and girls home. Home may not be as safe as it was before 9/11, but how safe is Malasia? O Jesus, I Trust in You. Pat

September 11, 2006 3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb, The following is the end of a post I made to a sales group I belong to. One of us requested we share our memories of that horrible day. I thought in light of your entry that this would be a good place to put it, too. Everyday there are those who face these demons without end, in a small way, we are a few of the lucky ones. Hug a soldier today, or just think of one.

>God Bless us all, whatever God we pray to, this is beyond any human consolation. This is a battle of belief and we ALL need to learn to allow everyone the right to their own God. If not, evil is going to take us all down. I am not a devoutly religious person, but I am indeed a spiritual one, and this scenario cannot last forever, someone or something is going to end it if we don't all learn to LIVE in harmony.

Hope you're all in peace today<

I hope you too are at peace Barb!
Always thinking of you-
Camille

September 11, 2006 8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental