Thursday, April 13, 2006

My day in court...

What a beautiful day to go to traffic court! I am off of work today and it is beautiful outside. This day started with me taking a walk over to the Murphy's. (Time to start training for the Overnight. More about that in another post.) Tomorrow, long time residents of Buffalo Grove, Ann Marie's mom and dad are moving, downsizing and leaving many neighborhood friends. I wanted to say good bye before they left and though they were at work, Ann Marie and little guy Ben were home. I have known Ann Marie since she was in kindergarten with Katie. We have a history, most of it funny, some of it hard. Ann Marie, bless her heart, stuck by as Katie's friend through everything, this last by far the hardest. It was so good to share the most recent stuff of both families and just laugh. I know we will continue to see each other through the years to come.

One thing Ann Marie asked was how was I doing with Greg and Cheryl's upcoming move to Kuala Lumpur. Honestly, though it is far, far away (10X the distance from Chicago to Houston per Greg's recent blog.) I am excited for them. What a great opportunity and I've been on long plane flights before. I consider it a cool thing that I will get to visit Malayasia. Who would ever have thought that for us?

On then, this afternoon to traffic court. Remember my bashing into the rear of the car in front of me? I dressed carefully, not too showy, not too sloppy. Why I even shaved my legs. I know: Too much information. But here is a little known fact no one ever told me when I was younger. As you age, sometime in your 50's, the hair on your legs goes into slow down mode, much like everything else. Something to look forward to girls!

So nicely dressed and nervous, I try to remember everything my very kind officer told me the night I got the ticket, like the guy you hit probably won't even show up, so plead "Not guilty". Who do I see the minute I exit my car? My red headed victim, the guy I hit, and he's dressed like a lawyer, for crying out loud! Okay, now what? As we both go through the security screening, I decide to speak first. We shake hands, I ask how he has been. Any more accidents? This poor guy was hit two other times besides me hitting him in a three month period. His car was being repaired while he was in Europe last week. Well, la de da. The court doors open and we all file in, my victim, right behind me. It turns out he is there because he had to prove he had insurance. He was nice to ask how my daughter is; I tell him in three sentences and he tells me his bipolar friend story. Now what, do I still plead "Not guilty"? So I decide to share my indecision with him; I whisper to him, "You look like a lawyer, would you plead "Guilty" or "Not guilty" if you were me? I just don't know. I certainly hit you." He says how about "No contest?" Ha ha. So I tell him, I am going to go with "Not guilty" and see what happens. The bailiff lady finds my little folder, sees it is an accident and ask if I am pleading "Not guilty". I say yes, she gives me a date next month and if no one (the victim) shows up, it will be thrown out. I'm free to go. The victim gives me a little thumbs up sign and waves good bye. With any great good luck, I will not be seeing him again.

It's a beautiful day!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Look what shaving your legs can do! Thanks for that hope of not having to shave much anymore. My mom's Italian genes come out very rarely, but there they certainly do :) Anyways... glad to hear you had a great day. You certainly deserve a run of them. Love you!

April 13, 2006 7:39 PM  
Blogger Gail said...

Now all that made me laugh...love you sis...gail

April 14, 2006 9:03 PM  
Blogger Jackie R. said...

That IS good news (the less shaving thing). No one ever told me about that!
Here's hoping he doesn't show up next month!

April 15, 2006 5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental