Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Coming soon...

The one year anniversary of Laurie's death is coming soon and I have been thinking about that. While life has changed in so many ways for so many, there is still the constant. The God I believed in on March 1st, 2005 is still the same God today. The struggles of trying to figure things out often leads nowhere but back to Him. I know my faith is real. I guess that has to be the one thing I can say I know for sure.

Thinking about how to mark March 2nd this year got me thinking about what I could do that might be meaningful. I am open to suggestions and ideas. I like the idea of a balloon launch where maybe some of us could meet up, pray, share a story or two and then release balloons with the little cards Pete had made up with Laurie's picture and the website on it attached to the string. In my mind's eye I like to think that maybe those balloons after their ascent might land somewhere and be found by someone who needs to view that website. Imagine if someone who was toying with their own suicidal thoughts would chance upon www.laurieboncimino.com and realize the depths of anguish that would come about by their death. If finding a ballon with a card attached to it, turned one person around, it would be so great.

I have heard from three people since Laurie's death who have told me that the one thing they know now is that they will never take their own lives. In the search for meaning, those three give me hope. Maybe there are more who need to know?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After having read your blog for a long time, I feel this is a post I should speak out to. I know as well now that I could never take my own life. I never even knew Laurie, but I feel like the memory of her that you and your family has helped to convey to the world will be carried with me forever. Bless all of you.

February 07, 2006 3:44 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

I love that idea, Barb... how cool would it be, too, to put some kind of prayer or way that this impacted our lives on the card... we could symbolicly ask that God relieve some of the pain as we release the balloons... I love it.

February 07, 2006 4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I could be there with you Barb, when you do whatever you decide to do in Laurie's memory on that day. Love the balloon idea.

So wonderful having you and Diane here. Love you gal.

Debbi D.

February 07, 2006 10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading your blog, I am getting help for my depression and won't attempt suicide again. I don't know if you realize just how powerful your blog has been.

February 08, 2006 12:49 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I think the balloon idea is a great one! I have had my share of suicidal thoughts, but since learning about Laurie and reading the pain you and your family went through, I realize now that I could never do that to my own family. I would never want to put them through what you have been going through.

You have been so brave, writing about your inner-most feelings and I am so grateful that I found your blog, because I truly believe that God was sending me a message through them.

When I was in 2nd grade, my grandma was really sick with lung cancer. Her time on this Earth was not to be much longer and I was about to make my First Communion. (A Catholic sacrament) Well, we were to write a little prayer on a piece of paper, and after the ceremony, we released those prayers up with balloons. It was our way of sending a message to God. Well, my prayer said. "Please let my Nanny feel better." She passed away that morning.

I now know that God answered my prayer. He took away the horrible pain my grandmother felt during her last days and brought her to a place where there is no pain, only love.

So, yes, I think the balloons are a great idea!

February 08, 2006 8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never met you, Laurie, or your family, but I feel so connected to all of you. So much that I have been thinking of how to honor her on that day. I like your idea of the balloons...personally, I may buy someone a cup of coffee at Starbucks!

February 08, 2006 8:47 PM  
Blogger BrandiK said...

Barb-

I stumbled upon your site shortly after Laurie's death last year. I've read as you've gone through your many emotions and your family has dealt with the unthinkable. You've opened my mind to a world I've fortunately never known. I guess I never realized how common suicide is, or just how truly and deeply it effects the family. I'm sure that many people have found their way to your site over the year, and I hope that they've found support or answers they were looking for.

I hope your family continue to find strength in each other and your faith. I'm sure that however you remember Laurie next month, it will be a beautiful memorial. I think the balloon launch is a perfect idea- it's symbolic on so many levels.

Thank you for your candidness during this year of grief. You've helped so many people.

February 09, 2006 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today is Feb 10, 2006 it was one year ago today Laurie started making the "letter" I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of all the Boncimino's today and allways. I think the balloons are a great idea! Bless all of you!

February 10, 2006 10:23 AM  
Blogger Larry and Steph said...

Barb,

I think the balloon idea is awesome! What a special way to remember Laurie and to continue to spread her story...and the story of hope.

Something else I thought of...it's something that we do in my family. On the anniversary of K's death, we all wear something of hers, something she gave us, or something that reminds us especially of her. It's just a small way to keep her close to us on that day.

Praying for you...
Steph

February 10, 2006 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental