Sunday, October 02, 2005

Not another...

Time for introspection, Barb. Finished "Goodbye Jeanine". The only of the many books on suicide I have read, that was written by a mother, a Christian mother, about the suicide of her beloved daughter. All of the others have been either about sons or daughters writing about the death of their fathers. Jeanine, too, was only twenty. A believer, a beauty, intelligent, a heart for others.

This book had so many passages I wish I had written. Joyce Sackett starts the book with "The Parable of the Mirrors." Already I identify. And Joyce still clearly feels God love and care for her in the worst thing imaginable. She sees and feels God in nature, in hearing and reading the same passage in several places in a day. God speaking...Her regrets about missing the depth of the pain. She writes "Death is a closed door. I have no appeal, no way of saying to my daughter, "I'm so sorry for all I have misunderstood. I'm so sorry for not knowing how much you were suffering. Please forgive me.'" This mother, like me, thrives and is comforted by the words of her friends and family, especially those intuitive enough to know when an extra dose of love is needed. I think I will write this author a letter and let her know how much her words meant to me.

And I have already written a sympathy card just today to another family in the fresh pain of suicide. Riding home from Molly and Mike's church yesterday, while Pete drives, I read through the paper and there it is, in the obituaries...the picture of a young, beautiful 20 year old girl, Julia. She is from the next town north of us. And as I read, it is unmistakable. In part it read, "Julia kept pain inside and on the surface she appeared strong. Underneath she was vulnerable, insecure...She tried to express herself in writing and in art. Finally, the pain was too much for her and she found peace only in death. Julia believed in Christ, and God has her now and she has eternal life and peace." So sad, yet another one. I hope at some time her family is able to reach out to us and we can comfort them as we have been comforted.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just got this from my friend- thought you might already know...

Held annually the second Sunday in December, The Compassionate Friends Worldwide Candle Lighting unites family and friends around the globe as they light candles for one hour to honor and remember children who have died at any age from any cause. As candles are lit at 7 p.m. local time, hundreds of thousands of persons commemorate and honor children in a way that transcends all ethnic, cultural, religious, and political boundaries.

October 03, 2005 11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

..and another one, here in my town:
Kyle Ambrogi, a University of Penn senior and member of the football team, took his life on Monday, October 10, 2005. He was in his mother's house, a place he felt safe. His mother is a palliative care nurse and one well-educated in depression, yet....

October 15, 2005 1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental