Tuesday, May 20, 2008

How much can one weekend hold?

This weekend was bursting from Friday to Sunday night. Friday we helped make last minute preparations and purchases for Saturday's big move...more on that later. I had some grandma fun earlier with D and M and I until it was time to go to the wedding of our friend's daughter. The ceremony was lovely, the food fabulous and the DJ wonderful.

Same DJ got home about 1:30 AM only for us to get rolling bright and early Saturday morning to Pete's parents' home to help them move. After 50 years in their house, they needed to downsize to a very cute apartment. Our friends and family were amazing troopers as we squished a houseful of stuff appropriately into a one bedroom plus den apartment. The den is now the new "basement". One can only imagine the emotion for my in-laws plus the incredible discovery of how much of a little pack rat my mother-in-law is. We had to keep sneaking out stuff no longer good (food date codes as far back as 1979, Katie sorting out all their meds, some good, some dangerous.). I think I was the only one who actually bled...a board for the trusty new med cabinet fell on my shin and nurse Kristin tended the wound. (FYI to my kids, I promise I will begin to purge my belongings.)

Saturday ended with dinner out for Pete and me, only to anxiously discover the folks were not answering their phone. So back we went...all was well.

And Sunday, Maya's birthday! Yippee for being seven. Her other grandma and Aunt Wendy got the longed for American Girl doll, Mia. How perfect! We were got Maya and Mia matching outfits and a promisory note for brunch at the American Girl store. A fun after-church breakfast at our favorite after-church restaurant with 10 of us was great with the whole place singing Happy Birthday to Maya. Sweet.

Of course this day was not yet done. I had volunteered Pete and I to participate in the final Feed My Starving Children food packaging event for Willow Creek. Soooo, from 5 to 7 we sealed measured packs of rice, soy protein, dehydrated vegetables and chicken flavoring to be sent to Zimbabwe, Africa. Willow activated 15000 volunteers to make 3.5 million packets. Impressive. Maybe not quite as impressive as us squishing all that stuff into the new apartment but almost :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

did they ever find lee cutler? any updates on the malaysian bonciminos? will greg reconsider going public again? is katie hurt by the most recent blog entry? do you still hear from your friend deb from FL? is shelly cox okay? please update.

May 21, 2008 5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb,
You are such a woman of grace, poise, courage, faith and love. I love watching you pour love and grace all over your family and friends. Please know you are in my breath prayers.

Not sure if you are aware, but it looks like Satan has gone after Katie's blog.

In His Love

May 22, 2008 10:49 PM  
Blogger Yvette said...

My mom recently made a comment about my grandma (her mom) being a pack rat. I had to laugh and reply, "And you think you're not?"

Grandma's an everything pack rat, while my mom is only a clothes pack rat. Last month my mom wore a sweatshirt I use to wear in 8th grade - I'm in my 30's now!!

May 27, 2008 1:40 PM  
Blogger Barb K said...

Yvette,
I hope you see this. We had almost the same scenario when we weere telling son Chris about the stuff the grandparents had built up. He said he would be doing pretty much the same thing years down the road. (And I am terrible about clothes, I love them. I love putting outfits together, of course with matching jewelry and shoes.) I am thinking about putting an index card in the closet in case anything happens to me asking their forgiveness...

May 27, 2008 11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental