Thursday, December 20, 2007

Ashley is a Wildcat!

Trying to maintain balance in a vastly fragile, shaky time, I need to remind myself of the many blessings our family does get to enjoy. One is the sweet news that 17 year old granddaughter Ashley, currently based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, is going to be coming to Northwestern in September! Here is part of Greg's email to us:

"Just in case anyone hadn't heard the great news, we found out on Wednesday night that Ashley was officially accepted into Northwestern University !!! Since she applied using the Early Decision process, she is formally committed to attend, and will begin classes in Evanston in September! Northwestern is presently the #14 rated university in the US (higher than Rice at #17!), and 83% of the students are from the Top 10% of their high school class. Ashley has been admitted to the Medill School of Journalism, regarded as one of the Top 5 in the US. Maybe you'll see her writing for the Chicago Tribune, or broadcasting for NBC news, someday. Anyway, we are happy."

And I am happy. It will be so great to have Ashley within a quick drive to Evanston instead of a 21 hour airline flight away! I can still remember clearly talking with Greg on the phone literally minutes after Ashley was born down in Houston; the excitement and sheer joy and amazement were so apparent in his voice. I don't think the joy has ever diminished.

If I had my look-to-the-future glasses on, I would love to see the futures of all of our sweet grandchildren. At this holy time of year, it seems as if all should be peaceful for them. Continue to pray with me that one day soon this would be so. And not just for these little ones but all children everywhere...

4 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

What exciting news about Ashley!! Congratulations to her. :)

I will continue to keep your family in my prayers.

Love from Fl,
Kim

December 20, 2007 10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb....

What an accomplishment for Ashley. Congratulations to her and the entire family. That is a great journalism school. I'm happy for you also to have her close by.

If we don't get a chance to talk, have a blessed Christmas and a Happy, Healthy New Year.

In His Love,


Eileen

P.S. I continue to pray.

December 20, 2007 3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's wonderful news!
Well, it's obvious where Ashley gets her journalistic bent. It seems to run in your family, Barb.

Congratulations to Ashley!

December 22, 2007 1:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Ashley! My brother is a NU grad and I know that he still wishes he was in school!!

Merry Christmas,
Samantha in WI

December 22, 2007 4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental