Thursday, September 20, 2007

Do you know the signs of aging?

When I saw the ad the other night in O magazine, I laughed. If you look close, you can see that if you are still holding the little rectangular McCormick spice boxes, they are more than 15 years, yes, 15 years old! Throw them out. I pulled mine out, still in the neat alphabetical order I keep them in. Even more ridiculous, on the underside of several of them was the handwriting of my kids with the "price" they wrote on the tins when they played store. These could have been played with by Greg and Chris who are now 38 and 36. Those spices could be 30 years old! I should put them on Ebay as vintage spices. But alas, I think I will just throw these spices out; you might say they are "Old Spice", my dad's favorite mens cologne. And that's how I really know the signs of aging...plenty reading this will have never heard of Old Spice.

This is just an odd little post. I am well, now at Day 51 as a non smoker. Grief Support has just started again and as always, hearing of the fresh grief of so many is hard. Saturday is the start of Sonlight with my young African refugee kids and I am really excited about seeing them all again; grandson Denver is going to be joining me. Is that a sign of aging where you want to make sure your grandkids catch your vision? I know a real sign of aging. On the Fast Track bus going into church when 6 year old Maya sits next to me, she loves to stroke the soft mushy skin on the underneath part of my upper arm. Anyone over 50 knows of this flappy arm-wing thing. I can clearly remember petting my own grandma's soft mushy arm. What I don't remember is my grandma immediately flexing her biceps like I do to Maya. Who's aging? Me?

3 Comments:

Blogger Gail said...

That was so great. It's underarm diggle dangle. I tell the kids at school that it is muscle and then I flex it and they think I am stronger than their dads. Its very funny. !! I love your new hat. I liked mine on you more. You look good in cowboy hats!! Good luck with the new group in G.S. You are so busy. I miss you a bunch. Hugs to you sista...Gail

September 22, 2007 2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb!
Great post! I know I still have cans and green capped spices in my cabinet...ugh! That old, huh? I will be tossing those out as well. I might just keep the empty cans...oh wait...NO, THROW THEM AWAY...
Love ya!

September 25, 2007 10:35 AM  
Blogger riniroo said...

Thanks for the chuckle. I'm going to go check my spices right now-and I'm not that old!

September 26, 2007 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental