Tuesday, September 04, 2007

September. Is summer really over?

I feel so conflicted lately. I am trying to absorb every last minute I can wring out of summer with walks, Great America trips, outdoor dining, wearing Capris. And the weather this week has been so beautiful. But now kids are back in school, schedules are changing...

And lives are changing. "New normals" for Karen, and her family. Katie on her way to making a new plan for living arrangements. Pete's mom and dad facing health issues... gee whiz. And there are many things to celebrate in September; birthdays: Katie's, Isaiah's, my sweet friend, Diane, co-worker Russ, Josey, niece Kaitlyn, nephew-in-law, Mike, my sister Gail. And wedding anniversaries, Greg and Cheryl, the Millers. But those sad anniversaries haunt me. My dad, three years ago; my friend Debbi's husband Don, two years ago and then just last year, Ray and Sharon's daughter, 24 year old Nikki. And just a few minutes ago I realized the second of the month had just passed and I did not register how many months it has been since Laurie's death. It's thirty months.

This month will end with our team, "Laurie's Legacy" walking a 5K for suicide prevention. Several of my old small group girls, the Girlie Girls, will be walking with us. The walk will be at Busse Woods in Elk Grove Village and though not 20 miles, I am hoping that it will have just as big an impact. The funds raised are used to reach those struggling with suicidal thoughts, to teach the surviviors how to carry on.

September, I'm buckled up.

Link to Laurie's Legacy: http://www.outofthedarkness.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=communityWalks.team&teamID=2929

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental