Wednesday, May 02, 2007

SOS - Sick of shingles!

This is really a blog prayer request. Sunday night I went to the emergency room, experiencing pretty awful eye pain. The none-too-interested doctor said I had conjunctivitis (pink eye) and gave a prescription and orders to see an opthamologist in 2 to 4 days in order to start wearing my contacts again. I've had pink eye before; this felt NOTHING like that. Monday I tried toughing it out. By Tuesday I begged the opthamologist for an appointment asap.

New doc, a cool guy, says "Wow, you have SLK. Superior Limbus Keratoconjunctivitis." My most favorite part was the numbing drops he put in my eye. Relief for the first time in 24 hours. New scrip to get filled and I am walking on air at Osco. Until...the numbing meds wear off and I am hurting again! A lot! Imagine the most grit you ever ever had in your eye and you cannot get it out. But I am hopeful that the new drops are going to do the trick. Katie and I look up all kinds of stuff on the internet and I am now concerned because thyroid is often part of the mix in SLK and both my mom and Katie have had problems with their thyroid.

Not a good night last night. Pete has been a dear through all this wishing he could do something to help. At the office this morning I am unable to concentrate for even a few minutes without trying a cold compress, a warm compress, prayers, saline drops. Another call to the eye doc that I am still having a lot of pain. And something new. I now have an eruption of little bumps on my forehead near the hairline that are tender, in fact a lot of my head is sore. What is going on? Back at good ole Dr. Wood's and the blessed numbing drops bring relief. I want to steal the bottle!

He looks deep into my eye and says he sees no improvement, looks worse. Then I tell him about the bumps on my head. Eureka! I have shingles...of the eye and head. The doctor asks if I have much stress in my life. HA! Shingles sometimes emerges with stress. Well, whoop de stinkin doo. So now I am on some oral meds, still have drops, still have pain but I am firm in the knowledge that this will not last forever. At least I hope not. Isn't there a part in the Bible where the apostle Paul talks about his thorn, some undisclosed ailment and how he can bear all things in Him? Praying for that...

Also coveting your prayers (and any shingles stories) that this passes soon; I have too much stuff going on. And as a sidebar, shingles (herpes zoster, yes, I have herpes, just not THAT kind of herpes.) makes me contagious to others who have not had chickenpox. Since the twins are only five months old and not yet innoculated for chickenpox, I am not supposed to come into contact with them for a week. This should be interesting!

11 Comments:

Blogger Eve said...

You know what? Jayne Vandersteldt had shingles on her tummy. I don't know if she would want me to tell the whole world... It was painful but did go away. Gosh!!! THe eyes!!! That sounds horrible. WIll be praying. Definitely!

May 02, 2007 9:02 PM  
Blogger Bigger than Me said...

Mom, you are doing great, even if it freaks me out to see you laying on the couch in pain each night! Oh, sidenote...turns out the twins were vaccinated, so the concern is significantly reduced. (Yet I still wish you wouldn't blink your "shingl-ey eye" at them! Lub!

May 02, 2007 10:45 PM  
Blogger Jackie R. said...

Oh Barb... I am SO sad to read this! Oh NO!! (On a side note - I can't wait for the book you write with all the stories from your life - it is going to be CAPTIVATING) Anyhow. I will DEFINITELY be praying for you. My eyes are hurting for yours way down here in Denver :(

May 03, 2007 5:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Barb, I feel your pain! Well, actually, my husband did nearly 2 years ago to the day of your break out!! Ouch and OUCH. He had it on his back and was in more pain than he'd ever felt before...Hang in there. I know they sound like empty words, but if you're taking Valtrex (sp?), you will feel relief by the time you wake up tomorrow.
God is near, you just can't see him too clearly right now! Please post your progress.
~Camille

May 03, 2007 8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mrs k. i had shingles about 2 years ago around finals time. it was on a christmas night and i went to the hospital because i thought i was having a heart attack. a week later a rash around my stomach appeared. it was awful. i had chest pains and the itchies for a while at the same time my grandpa had it on his forehead and eye. we made quite the pair. hope you feel better real soon!

May 03, 2007 10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my father just had it recently, under his armpit and his chest...not a fun experience, though i have never heard about it in the eye. that has to take the cake...ouch. praying you are well soon.

May 04, 2007 1:13 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Oh Barb!! I am soooo sorry you are goign through this! I pray that the Lord heals you quickly. You poor thing!

On another note~ Remember my sister Femmie...she getting married next weekemd. We are leaving for Ohio tonight for the big event. And guess what we are using for an awesome photo op ...the Red Jeep. You know, I wouldn't be suprised if we see a Black one around as well!

Get well soon!!

May 04, 2007 10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoping each day gets easier. Praying for you.

May 04, 2007 1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb, Barb, Barb...I am SO sorry for you! My dad had them around his middle, but only half way around...was in a lot of pain. John also had them a couple of years ago...neck and face...pain...you know we'll be praying for relief for you. If you need anything, please let me know...
Love you!

May 04, 2007 1:23 PM  
Blogger NicaGirl said...

oh Barb!
I am so sorry you are going through this! I wish I lived closer so I could bring you a meal or something to help you feel better! I just said a prayer for you and I will continue to pray!
Love you,
Meg

May 05, 2007 9:56 AM  
Blogger Pony and Petey said...

I'm praying for you too! My husband, Petey, had them right where you have them when he was 6 years old. He had to be in the hospital and they thought he was going to be blind in his left eye. He has quite the scar on his forehead...I think it's sexy = )

Anyhow, he was almost crazy with the pain. You can imagine how much this would scare a little kid. I'll tell him about you and I know that he will pray for you too!

p.s. we're in the same running club as Greg...that's how I found your blog = )

May 15, 2007 5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental