Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Aw, gee whiz...

Another weekend filled with fun and mayhem. We decided to end the Michel kids Spring Break with an overnight stay at the Holiday Inn Holidome Friday night. Pete and I had just served at PADS the night before so we were operating on way short sleep. The evening and next morning could not have been more fun...

Saturday afternoon and evening were filled with Jenny and Sean's wedding. Jenny I have known since she was a baby and it was a thrill to see her getting married and for Pete to be their DJ. Too many times I thought how much my sister Lin would have bubbled with delight and how much Laurie, one of the Jr. Club girls, should have been part of the fun and craziness. But what I know is that we still find joy...sometimes even where there is too much sadness, too much misunderstanding, too much not seeking His face.

I am, like so many, stuck by the tragedy of Virginia Tech. Why tragedy? Why killing? Why death when it should not be? I am so filled with compassion for the parents who have lost their children. I know the long, long journey they will walk and it is not easy. But what I know...know with all my heart: God will not let them go. He has not let me go. He will provide what is needed. He did not cause these seemingly senseless deaths; the evil one did, but He will be there. Tonight driving home from Berwyn, I listened to WMBI, a Christian radio station, where I heard the unwavering faith of the roommate of one of the girls killed yesterday. Marie knew where her dear friend was and she boldly declared it. She was still stunned but her faith kicked in. It is what I know. I had a simple, untested faith. Then Laurie died. My faith kicked in, big time. The God of the universe is still here and He wants to draw us to Him. All of us. The only way I take each breathe each day is because He has gifted me with those very breathes. I am thankful.

I am reminded to pray tonight for all the Intervarsity, Campus Crusade, Youth for Christ staffs at Virginia Tech right now. As so many search for answers, I pray that these dedicated believers will be able to minister to the hurting and give them what they need...hope.

3 Comments:

Blogger Simply Me said...

tragedies never seem to end anymore... it is as though people have stopped seeing the value in life...

April 18, 2007 9:37 AM  
Blogger NicaGirl said...

Barb,
Thank you for your prayers for the VA Tech community. As a 1998 graduate from Tech, I am still stunned that this could happen in a place I know so well. But I know in all this tragedy, God can still use this to His glory. He is still here.
In Him,
Meg

April 18, 2007 10:07 PM  
Blogger Barb K said...

Hi, Meg,
I did not realize you had gone to VA Tech. Praying for you and yours in this sad time.

Love in Him, Barb

April 20, 2007 9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental