Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Oh, no. Guess who has reached the Big 5 - 0 ?

Two months of planning and we pulled it off. We surprised Pete last Saturday night with the coolest 50th birthday party ever! Having the greatest husband in the world and really wanting to honor him, we schemed, lied and fanagled and got him to arrive to 70 waiting friends and family members, all wearing Elvis sunglasses, yelling " Surprise".

Our evites were themed after Elvis, since Pete is the King of 8' elevated Elvises (Elvii?) . The very next day after the invitations went out, his sweet aunt unintentionally blew the surprise element when she called him for instructions on how to open the email. Urg. Although Pete did not know I could hear the conversation, he told his aunt not to tell him anymore. What a good guy! And now since I knew that he knew, I needed to invent something else. So we invented a wine tasting event for this coming Friday night and he fell for it.

Entering the party room at a local restaurant, thinking he was going to be the DJ for an engagement party, he was totally surprised! Friends from almost every aspect of his life, his parents and brother, the kids, cousins all had come to be part of his celebration. Guests were encouraged to dress in "Pete" wear, and several did. The cutest was his daughter Kristin, dressed as Elvis. And the tributes to him were so wonderful; Pete is just loved by many, many people. But the show stopper was Kristin's as she described her dad as the man she measures all men against. And I know that is a hard bill to fill. Pete is one amazing, hilarious, compassionate, hard working , God loving man. Happy 50th Birthday, Pete.

Welcome to AARP...

5 Comments:

Blogger Aunt Sara with the yellow hair said...

Yea! The secret's finally out! So now I can tell you all how much I miss you down here in Florida!! I hope Jake's and my engagement part was everything Pete thought it would be. Hahahahahaha. Happy birthday, Pete!!

April 11, 2007 6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Pete. It is wonderful to read how much your family loves and admires you.

April 11, 2007 9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Pete! I wish you the best in the next 50 years!

Barb: I was watching TV and a commercial came on for milk. I thought I was seeing a ghost. There is a girl with her mother and the girl is identical to Laurie. I thought I was wrong but due to TV technology I rewond (is this a word?) and sure enough - Laurie. The commercial is for "Got Milk?" and starts with a woman in a little black dress

Prayers to you, Birthday Boy Pete, and the rest of the family!

April 11, 2007 11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO PETE.

Hi Barb...how blessed you are. Pete is truly a caring individual with a wonderful sense of humor and zest for life. May he have many more Happy Birthays!

In His Love,

The Goodmillers

April 12, 2007 3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pete, Pete, Pete
Happy flippin birthday again. There now I said early, on the date and late this makes me feel good. I admire you as a man and especially as a father. I get a treat in spending two nights a week with your daughter just hangin out and talkin or watchin tv. I would like to take this moment to tell you I can only hope to raise my children as well as you have raised yours. You are a giving, funny, unselfish, unjudgemental, supportive, good christian man. All the best with the next 50.

tommy

April 12, 2007 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental