Monday, August 14, 2006

The Overnight 2006

Saturday afternoon, last minute preparations for the ride downtown, printing forms, pasta carb load, phone calls, who is where, who needs a ride and then we are there on the east side of Soldier Field. Drew has done a great job of putting the photos on his blog. Please take a look there.

For me, I went in with anticipation and a longing that I did not need to be there. Seeing Shelly from Colorado and knowing her pain and then the 1000+ walkers, each with their own stories, overwhelming. When the opening ceremony speakers asked who had walked last year and then pointed out that in this past year 30000 more had taken their own lives, I want to weep. I know at least 25 of those stories. It's got to stop. There are ways to cope, to heal, to find hope. Our little group prayed together before we started. Off we begin the 20 miles on a beautiful night along Lake Michigan...Lake Michigan...a place I can never see again without sadness.

As I walked this year, I engaged in more conversations with people I did not know, heard their stories, told mine. Our team stayed closer together this year and finished strong. Aimee and Mark almost looked chipper as they came in long before dawn. I had taken a sweeper van at mile 12; my right leg was hurting and a woman we had met through the blogs , was struggling with four huge blisters. I have no regrets about taking 5 miles out of the 20 mile walk. The result for me was being able to function quite well at the closing ceremonies and for the rest of the day. ( No trip to First Aid this year.) My new friends, Ginny, Kathy and Chris, and I got out of the van at the 18 mile pit stop where we were given luminary bags to write our thoughts on and leave along with way.

My closing thoughts are that in this next year we know of no one who makes the choice to opt out. There is hope...

4 Comments:

Blogger Gail said...

Barb, Great job once again. I just couldn't believe when I read 30,000 more this past year. Oh how sad. I love you....Gail

August 14, 2006 8:47 AM  
Blogger Colie said...

I was praying for you Friday and Sunday. For some reason Saturday was a blur but know that I was thinking about you - way across the country!

August 14, 2006 4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb-As long as you are there with your team and an inspiration to all others, there is hope. I heard about the walk on WGN-am Saturday night and my thoughts immediately went to you and your team. God Bless you for all that you do and put forth in the name of your beautiful daughter. Hold your head high, you are truly doing wonderful things!

August 14, 2006 6:05 PM  
Blogger chryl said...

qthanks for your post and the pictures, barb. we are with you in spirit and although you would never have chosen this journey in a hundred lifetimes, we are proud of you and also hope not to know any new stories of despair in the coming year.
love from asia,
chryl

August 18, 2006 1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental