Tuesday, September 13, 2005

One year ago...

A year ago right now we were deeply involved with my dad's decline following emergency surgery 9 days earlier. Nine days in ICU. Dad had no desire to rally and get well. He just wanted to be with Mom, his wife of 56 years, who had passed away just seven weeks before.
We had a really sweet time in those short days he lived with us. Dad and I watched almost all of the Olympics and just about every Cubs game on TV.

One year ago tonight, Laurie went to the hospital after midnight and just sat with her Grandpa. She told me she sang to him, prayed for him and eventually fell asleep holding his hand, her head resting on the safety rail. It was probably two hours later a nurse woke her and she finally left. She had said her good byes to him. I still wish I had that chance with her...

Tomorrow Sept. 14th, we are going to the Cubs game. Pete, Kristin, Drew and I. Ironically, Pete won these four tickets for this date when he bought some raffle tickets at the PADS Gold Outing he DJ'd a few months ago. I think this is very fitting to cheer on the Cubbies in Dad's honor. Go Cubbies! And thanks, God, for giving me the nutty, coffee drinking, bicycle racing, story telling dad you gave me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

all i can say is i have been reading your blog for a while and this is the first time i am posting a comment, you and laurie and your family have been such an inspirtation to me, i have been dealing with alot in the past few months and reading how laurie lived her life has pushed me in that direction of wanting to be a better person, helping me to cope with things. i wanted to thank you truly from the bottom of my heart. thank you!
Patty

September 14, 2005 11:42 PM  
Blogger Barb K said...

You are more than welcome. You are a blessing.
Love in Him, Barb K.

September 15, 2005 2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental