Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Cell phone mysteries....

Last night I went to sleep at a reasonable time since we are leaving for San Diego for the Willow Leadership Summit today. At midnight nicely fitting into my dream, I hear the soft tones of a cell phone, my cell phone. Huh? I never have my purse upstairs in our room...except I did last night because of packing. Turning on the light, scrambling through my purse, I find it. A call from son Chris' cell.

"Hi, what's up?" "Were you asleep?" "Well, yes, but that's okay. What's up?" Chris goes on to explain, (well actually, vent, he said.) that he will be doing the "Remembering Laurie" seminar on his own. The wonderful friend and professional who was going to be there, too, had to bail due to a family emergency. Now Chris wants to gather some thoughts from my fuzzy brain. What I really love is that he is totally ready to tackle this and has plenty of his own great ideas. I mostly agree with everything he says, tell him he is right on and that I will be praying for him. "Good night, honey" "Good night, Mom, I love you."

And this morning while walking, I am praying for Teen Camp and Chris (10 minutes, 10 days) and I hear it, the bird song I now recognize different from other bird songs. There he is, a beautiful cardinal. My little sign that God hears my prayers. I smile...

4 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I was just looking out my window the other day, hoping to see a cardinal. I have seen so many since I started reading your blog. Always a pair of them . I think of you and your family each time I see them and say a prayer to God, thanking me for letting me know He cares. :)

August 09, 2005 11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb,
Just so you know Chris did a great job with the "Remembering Laurie" seminar. But I know you knew he would do nothing less. It was a struggle for him as he encouraged others to tell their Laurie story and what she meant to them. He sort of did a timeline from March 2nd to the 5th and gave some of the families perspective on how gut wrenching it was to find out that Laurie killed herself. He read a list of verbs that described some of the feelings many went through those days. Ellen Moore sang a song that she wrote about Laurie which caused most of us to have tears in our eyes. And he ended with several praying and remembering we all serve a Great God who Laurie loved dearly.
Love, Diane

August 09, 2005 8:15 PM  
Blogger Jackie R. said...

Barb - you know... you are awesome! I think it is great you and Pete are doing the leadership summit... I am excited that someday God will reveal to you both how many people you have ministered too... how many lives impacted... Sad that you guys can't come party but I think you are on a more important mission...
Thanks for the pointer on my random unfinshed blog entry!
Also... I have thought a lot how glad I am to know you better now... hating so, so much the reasons that initiated but celebrate knowing you better- you have said that I'm deep and your not and I think you are crazy! :) I think I can think too much about one subject and get stuck there and you think deeply but apply an amazing gift of faith to those thoughts... I learn a lot from that since faith comes up pretty low on my spiritual gifts test!! Love you!

August 09, 2005 11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

barb,
chris did a very good job with the seminar last week and i tell you what i told him at the end Laurie saved my life apr 23 i left my youth group after thinking of doing somthing stuped but all i could think of is how much Laurie hurt alot of people and stoped me from going thru with it

August 16, 2005 8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental