Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Four and a half years...

Though I don't blog much anymore, I still see this as my place to process my emotions and the grief journey. I still participate as a child loss small group leader at Grief Support at Willow Creek. However, we have been off for the summer and I am feeling the need to get back.

Through this summer, I attended the wake of a young girl who died by suicide, I participated in the Overnight walk, fundraiser for suicide prevention and heard of several other suicides. I still shake myself once in a while and have to tell myself, yes, Laurie really died. She really took her own life. As we took part in weddings this summer, I often thought Laurie should be here, where is she? Isn't that crazy that after four and a half years (exactly on Sept 2nd.) I still cannot believe it sometimes that I don't have that funny, beautiful girl here with me?

Today as I drove, I welled up thinking of her, missing her. Does a mom ever get over the loss of a child? I don't think so. Sure, the sharp gnawing pain subsides. It's when I see photos of her friends on Facebook and scan those faces, she's not smiling back. When Katie's two year old twins see pictures of Aunt Munch, but have no clue, I sigh.

My hope comes from my faith. That sure knowledge that she is safe and smiling in that realm we somehow conject is heaven. She's there...I'm at peace with that.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you Sis. I am always prayin for you. love, Gail

September 02, 2009 7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear from you. Thought of you often and missed your posts. God bless.

September 07, 2009 2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, miss your posts.
Sometimes the passage of time makes it even more difficult in the day-to-day experiences. Know that you are still being prayed for.

September 08, 2009 1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew Laurie but I feel I did after reading every one of your posts since the first one. Do mothers ever get over it? No, they don't. I never have and I am in a similar situation.

When no one is looking I still cry. A piece of me disappeared forever and wherever I go I still get hit real hard by memories when I go by a certain place, hear a certain song or sound. Everything flashes back in an instant and it seems so real for a few moments.

You remind me of myself when you mention seeing a black jeep on the road. Sometimes when I'm outdoors I'll hear a voice, turn quickly around and listen for a moment. For just a fraction of a second that voice sounded so familiar...yet it was someone else.

Keep on writing. I always enjoy reading your thoughts and experiences.

I always wonder about what was in that letter. Maybe one day......

September 20, 2009 6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Barb!

I have been wanting to update you on how I am doing and to also let you know that I have been praying for you and your family.

You were there for me when I was going through a rough time in my life and I will never forget that. I try to pay your kindness forward with everything that I do!

I am now married to my son's father and we are very happy. We are in the process of buying my father-in-law's house and I am very excited to be a homeowner.

My kids are growing like weeds and they are doing well in 1st and 4th grade. My daughter is in dance and my son is in cub scouts, so we are always busy doing something.

We all had the flu recently, but we are finally feeling better and back to normal.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten you or the kindness you have shown me. I still have my moments with depression, but am learning how to cope better. :)

Kim in FL

October 25, 2009 4:03 PM  
Blogger Barb K said...

Dearest Kim in FL,
How wonderful to hear that you are doing so well! I am glad you are paying it forward. That is the very best way to go!

Congrats on becoming a home owner. I am sure the kids are bringing you much joy.

Love in Him, Barb

October 26, 2009 10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental