Sunday, July 15, 2007

How this all works...

Dial back to about 1999, some young women leaders are praying that I would consider being a small group leader to high school girls in the Student Impact ministry at church. I didn't know this then, but as God would have ordained, I volunteered for a few events and then, with Laurie's whole hearted approval, jumped in.

My first real event was Blast, a weekend retreat, where I was assigned a group of young girls, mostly sophomores and juniors in high school. From our first meeting I knew this was going to be cool and it still is. We have stayed connected even through their college years. I marvel that some how I thought that I could help them through the turbulent teens only to realize that they have seen me through the turbulent times of Laurie's death.

Yesterday was the wedding of one of those girls, Lisa. I was at the bachlorette party Thursday night, so fun. A cruise on Lake Michigan with these young women, dinner at Ed Debevic's. And yesterday the ceremony, the reception, with Pete as the DJ and me giving the blessing... full circle, dancing with these amazing young women, each so unique. God knew those many years ago, I would need a special circle of girls, not to replace Laurie, but to help me through each phase she would be in. And they have been there...Lisa, Elizabeth, Lauren, Karen, Mandy, Alex, Kim, Vanessa. I love you, girly-girls.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you say you're happy to know us, and i think i speak for everyone when i say it's beyond a pleasure being around you. you're awesome barb. i can't wait to hang out again so you can buy us another round! love ya!

-faleni

July 16, 2007 2:09 PM  
Blogger Simply Me said...

i'm with faleni. i wish i coulda been there this past weekend, but schedules just didn't allow it. i think we are all glad to be a part of your life :) love you!
~Kim

July 17, 2007 9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! It's so funny- yesterday I was packing up my old bedroom with my mom and I found some old photo albums. That Blast was in one of them and I pointed out to my mom that was the formation of our small group. Gosh- was that 8 years ago already?!?! What a trip this has been. We are so blessed to have you along for this ride- really, more so, for driving and steering us along. Who knew what a life changing decision that was in 1999. We're so glad you made it. We are all better people because of you. Lots of love!!!!

July 27, 2007 1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental