Monday, May 28, 2007

SOS Part 3 Sort of Shingly

Aah, Memorial Day weekend. Some of it has been great and relaxing. Barbecues with family and friends, a trip to Six Flags Great America on drizzly Saturday with the Michel kids. A great service at Willow Creek on Sunday where every person there got a kazoo and was encouraged to have fun. And yes, there still was a spiritual message, just lighter than usual.

Less fun parts included visits to Northwest Community Hospital where Pete's mom has been since Thursday. She is much improved but now is officially diabetic and will require insulin injections and on top of that, she has shingles! I feel guilty even though I know they are not contagious. Hers are on her abdomen and, fortunately, she has no pain from them. I wish I could say the same for mine. Tomorrow will be one month since this started for me and I am truly sick of the pain in my head and figuring out how to manage it. Friday night was probably the stupidest and most pathetic when I was prescribed a topical salve to deal with the pain on my forehead. The stuff burned like BenGay times 10. I scrambled around wiping it off and putting an icebag on the afflicted area, all while talking to my friend on the phone. Yuck!

And then two different discussions about bipolar disorder this weekend; Katie present at both. One was authentic and thoughtful and compassionate. The other was riddled with thoughtless comments, probably the worst being a reference to sending them all to an island. I am hoping it was meant to be funny, but it only showed the lack of knowledge regarding such a serious subject. Mental illness in any form is no less serious than any other disease. Can you read my frustration? I think what really bothers me is that it feels like a slam at me although I know I am doing exactly what I am being called to do in supporting Katie and all her kids the best I can, while hopefully still being fully available for the rest of this family.

And one more thing. In a phone conversation with a friend I don't talk to much, she asked how Tommy is doing, that I don't write about him anymore. Tommy, bless his heart, is doing pretty well. He has ups and downs in dealing with his new reality of being a divorced single dad. Today he got a day off and took the time to take Denver, Maya and Isaiah to Arlington Race Track. Good times.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gail said...

I love you sister. Be safe, heal, get rest, Know you are loved 10 times more than how much your salve hurts. Love, GAIL

May 29, 2007 12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today in the Daily Herald there was a story about Kristen Anderson. I wanted to share this with you because it reminds me so much of Laurie. It is so sad and yet So inspirational at the same time. I really think the more this gets talked about out in the open the more lives can be saved. :)

May 29, 2007 7:00 PM  
Blogger Barb K said...

Dear Anonymous,
I saw that article and saved it for our friend Drew, who works with Kristen at the Chapel. Reading about her ministry to teens in depression and/or suicidal was really inspiring. I am thankful for her.
Thanks for mentioning it.

In Him, Barb

May 29, 2007 8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental