Friday, December 22, 2006

And a Merry Christmas to All...

Our second Christmas without Laurie; still so hard to fathom but we got another unexpected Laurie gift. A few weeks ago our old small group was going to be getting together for our annual Christmas dinner and white elephant gift exchange. We found a full 5 pack of 35mm film and thought that could be a good white elephant since we are digital camera folks now. To up the gift appeal we found our old 35 mm camera to include; there was still a roll of film inside, era unknown. After getting the roll developed, somehow Pete and I both knew there would be a picture of Laurie. We opened the envelope and there she was. I love how God keeps giving me glimpses of Him and ways to be grateful. I need to say it again: 20 years with this incredible girl was a tremendous gift.

Last night Pete and I worked at PADS, our homeless shelter. We wrote out Christmas cards for each of the guests and included McDonald's gift certificates donated by someone. I did load after load of their laundry, sad to think of what their Christmas will be like. Hardest of all was a young woman in her 20s who was a late arrival. It was after midnight when I showed her to the mattress that would be her bed for the night. She was so close to tears; I asked if she was okay, if she needed anything. She said she just wanted to sleep, she was so tired. Poor, sweet girl. I have so much to be thankful for, a roof over my head that I take so for granted.
Praying for protection for this girl.

This Christmas will be different again. More things to be thankful for, more things that just bring tears to my eyes. Unexpected gifts from Alaska, an unknown friend from this blog who sent a beautiful stained glass cardinal. (Thank you so much, Natalie.) But overall a sense of peace. Pete and I saw The Nativity Story movie a few nights ago. This wonderful movie set into motion a palpable feeling of wonder at how amazing a gift we have been given...that little baby born to another young woman who was just so tired. Her baby, Jesus...what a gift.

Merry Christmas to all.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Barb, I'm glad you liked it. Merry Christmas, love Natalie

December 23, 2006 4:22 AM  
Blogger chryl said...

we missed being with you and pete and kristin for christmas but are so glad we had a chance to SEE you! i'm so glad you are still exploring life; i can't tell you how many times brooke has already asked why she can't get her nose pierced!!!

you are the best.
love and hugs,
C

December 28, 2006 5:18 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

This Christmas was different for me. Since I was a child I have been told that Jesus came to earth so that I could have eternal life. I have heard it so many times that it has become familar. Too familar. The words roll off my tongue without meaning. But this Christmas I sat with Erin and told her the story and it dawned on me... Jesus came so that Erin could live. My baby girl can live! And Ian can live too. Eternally. My children can live because Jesus chose to give them that gift. I am so very, very greatful. In a new sense. A way I have never felt before.
And the same goes for Laurie. She is with Him right now because He came. So different when thought about for your child.

Just thought I would share. I miss you all. Love.

December 29, 2006 12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental