Friday, April 21, 2006

An Unexpected Gift...

I would be the first to say I love gifts, both giving and receiving. Friends and family have been amazing in their giving to my Overnight fund raising. Great gifts with long range value. Picking out the Easter Bunny gifts for the grandkids was so fun. Pete bringing me flowers every week, an ongoing gift I love.

But early this week I received an unexpected gift that really has boosted my heart. While looking for colored pens in Laurie's dresser drawer, Katie found some cassette tapes we had not ever listened to. One was hilarious, Laurie at about 10 years old, reading Shel Silverstein poems from Where the Sidewalk Ends. The other, oh, the other... It is about 20 minutes of Laurie playing the piano and singing worship songs.

She sings Open the Eyes of My Heart; I Love You, Lord; Lord, I Give You My Heart...One she sings without the piano. My eyes just well up hearing her voice. And the other sweet part is this little melody that she had made up. Not long ago I had looked at the piano and remembered that tune and felt sad I would never hear it again. It was her original little musical piece...and then there it is on the tape! So sweet! Thanks, God, for this unexpected gift you chose not to reveal until over 13 months after Laurie's homegoing.

I have asked Drew to help me make CDs from the original tape. That would make a nice gift to pass on. Let me know if you would like this little Laurie gift.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI BARB, I WOULD LOVE ONE OF THOSE. I MISS YOU AND I KNOW WE HAVE NEEDED TO HANG OUT. SEND PETE ME LOVE TOO!!

BRITNI PEMBERTON

April 21, 2006 12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you could make a link to them to this website. I would really love that and I know many other people would to. Thank you times a billion.

April 21, 2006 5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe u can put up the songs for download on laurie's website?

April 21, 2006 7:16 PM  
Blogger Jackie R. said...

What a wonderful thing to find! I am so glad for you! God is so great.

April 22, 2006 12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad to see that Katie is blogging again!

April 24, 2006 10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The more I get to know you all through these blogs the more I see how great,kind,nice,wonderful you all are. Thank you for being you

April 24, 2006 7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i aggree with linking them to the site- that would be lovely.

always in our prayers

April 24, 2006 8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb,
I got Chills when reading this blog! How Amazing and Wonderful to just "happen to find them while looking for coloring pens!!" I think He knew it was the right time! God works in Amazing ways. I am SO happy to hear that you are doing The Overnight Walk for the 2nd year in a row! That is Awesome!!!! I hope to talk to you soon, and I too would please like a copy of that! I, then could learn a little more about what an amazing Woman Laurie was, and It truly Emulate's through you, and your family!! Take Care and God Bless! Love in Him, Dana

April 25, 2006 10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oohhhh!! that is so wonderful =)

i want a copy!

May 04, 2006 12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb.. i dont know if you will get this since its been awhile... but i would LOVE one if its at all possible! Thanks! I love you!

May 18, 2006 1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental