Monday, July 18, 2005

We did it!!!!!!

Emotional does not adequately describe the experience of the Out of the Darkness Overnight Walk. Overwhelming, maybe.

Friday I taped an interview for CLTV describing the Overnight and why our team was walking. The station aired the piece every hour Friday and a shortened piece on Saturday. Saturday morning there were lots of last minute phone calls and by 6:00 PM our team had already battled getting downtown among 60000 rabid soccer fans, a few thousand more coming to hear the band Journey. The opening ceremony, though really hot, was filled with encouragement and stories and song focused on why we were doing this, to bring suicide awareness out of the dark, to prevent suicide where we can, to survive the loss of someone we loved. At approximately 7:20 PM over two thousand walkers began the journey. In the first five minutes of the walk we rounded the first turn that brought the Planetarium into full view. Katie and I had a good cry in each others arms and then onward we walked north along Lake Shore Drive.

Our little band stayed together as well as we could pretty much until the first rest stop. What I loved was getting to meet the different team members we had only known via emails and phone calls: Giselle, Chris Neil, Randy Estes, Amy Groebel, Jessica, Jennifer, the other Kristin. And we met many others as we walked whose lives were dramatically changed by someone they loved taking their own life. Chris and Christa and grandsons Hayden and Reece were at about the 8 mile mark to cheer us on ( and give us a good reason to take a little rest.) We reached the half way mark (10 miles, which I have never walked at one time) at almost midnight. Ouch, everything hurt. Did you ever realize that using a Porta Potty in complete darkness is high risk?
Katie managed to drop her glow stick light source right in, well, you know where. Oops. Dinner was provided at this rest stop which was somewhere near Foster and Lake Shore Drive. Chris Neil on our team had some Starbucks friends meet us and they came bearing much needed little cans of "Double Shot Expresso". For me, the caffeine jolt was just what I needed. The turn around back towards Soldier Field was daunting to face and our newly vaselined, mole skinned feet trudged on.

Did I say how hot and sweaty we all were? Yuck. My creative sister had made these clever little neck scarf things filled with some kind of gel that provided some cooling. For that I am forever thankful. At mile 15, Katie was cramping, Pete was pretty done in after working all day at Itasca Fest and then doing this, facing working again at Itasca fest all day Sunday, Tommy was not feeling too good either. So being the mindful woman I am, I suggested maybe we call it a walk and get on the sweeper bus to be brought back to the holding area. We boarded the air conditioned bus, sank into the seats and after a about a minute and a hald, Katie said "I am going to finish this." Katie and I climbed off the bus and completed the hardest five miles, ever. Lighting luminarias that stretched almost endlessly, was high emotion, again. All of us straggling in any where from 4:30 to 5:30 AM. But we did it!

The closing ceremonies were once again, emotionally draining but fulfilling. My gigantic blisters will go away; the memories and the way we could honor Laurie in a most dramatic way will stay with me forever. To all of you were prayed (Debbie, our all night prayer warrior, thank you!) , contributed, came to cheer us on, and especially, to you, our team Laurie's Legacy I am so thankful. Words, this time, can not express. I love you.

11 Comments:

Blogger Greg Boncimino said...

Amazing - awesome - unbelievable.

Thank you so much, Mom, for literally sacrificing your own comfort in order to make a major statement for everyone to witness. I am as proud a son as there ever could be. You continue to inspire me, as you always have.

Don't be afraid to crawl around the house this week, just like Kristin. It's OK, really.

I am so proud of everyone who did the walk Saturday / Sunday. What an amazing team! Just think of how the ripple efffect of your fundraising might reach a family in need of urgent help -- just like ours in March. Way to go.

Greg

July 18, 2005 9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings from Afghanistan. I wish I could have been there for the overnight, but know that you are all still in my thoughts and prayers.

July 18, 2005 11:07 AM  
Blogger isaiah said...

luke russo. oh my gosh. anyway barb, way to go! like greg said..i'm just proud of you. say hi to pete for me too.

love, isaiah 40.31

July 18, 2005 11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!! Pure WOW!

July 18, 2005 11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eloquent narrative of a never-to-be-forgotten occasion! Abounding thanks Barb, for helping us feel (almost) like we were there.

Katie inspires me. To think of how her indomitable spirit urged you two out of the inviting comfort of that bus and put you back on the path for those last grueling 5 miles. She's made of steel I tell you!

Oh--and I know how we're supposed to shine His light in the darkest places and all, but Katie has definitely raised my consciousness re: Port-o-Potty evangelism. :^)

Especially delightful to hear about the Starbucks surprise. Such a thoughtful, creative gesture!

Deafening applause ALL around. Praying for rapidly healing blisters and knee callouses for Kristin (to make the crawling a bit less painful.)

D.D.

July 18, 2005 2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the honor of being right behind you as you rounded the bend, just as I was asking the person next to me "why are you walking?". I am a NW suburban "neighbor" and was captured by Laurie's story the moment it broke and prayed for your family with each update.
Blessings and Kudos to the faith, hope and love that shines through your strength in taking this walk so soon and in such a BIG way for all to see.

Thank you for sharing your story with the media the last few months and encouraging participation and sponsorship. It helped us all to raise funds-

The NO Stigma Team spoke often of your love and power on our training walks!

God Bless you!

July 18, 2005 8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so proud to know you. You and the whole team have done something I could not. You started something and finished it with more then expected or even hoped for. I prayed for you and everyone else all day. I am sorry I did not come and cheer you on but I was thinking of you all evening. I pray that you know how much your courage gives to me and others. Love, Marie

July 18, 2005 10:37 PM  
Blogger Gail said...

Barb, Awesome. Great job. Mom and Dad would have been so proud too. I was there in spirit for sure. I love you, I miss Laurie and I hope this walk speaks loudly to everyone. God Bless you..Gail

July 19, 2005 10:13 AM  
Blogger Jackie R. said...

Barb,
What an amazing experience The Walk was... I hope to blog about it later tonight but thanks for sharing your words and photos... It's all so indescribable- the emotion, the experience, the simultaneous feeling of being so glad you were doing something and hating so badly that there was a reason you were doing it... Anyhow - I am so honored to have had the experience with you and so amazed by your strength, trust in the Lord and humility. Press on Barb! Love you! (They put 5 pictures up on the main site - one has the lumineria but hopefully they will do more?)

July 20, 2005 3:41 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Thank you for your wonderful words of encouragement.

I have been reading your's and your family's blogs for a while now and even left some anonymous notes. I am a quiet, shy, introverted person, so words don't always come easily to me. I can't remember how I found your blogs, but I am so glad I did. I think I found them for a reason, because reading your thoughts, of your beliefs has really lifted me. I just love the way you think and I love the way your family is there for each other.

I live down in FL and have been to therapy bunches of times, but just haven't found the right one. I have also been "church shopping". I yearn for a church home and cannot wait to find it. In the meantime, I spend quiet time reflecting and praying.

My parents are divorced and it was very stressful for a while. My mom got remarried, which caused a lot of tension for our family. Suddenly, my sister and I had to choose who we wanted to spend our holidays with, always feeling torn. My parents did the best they could raising us and we are really close, but I fear that if they know how badly I feel sometimes, they will be disappointed in me. Or it will hurt them.

My mom is my best friend, but I could never bare to see her hurt because I am hurting. I don't like to cause her to worry about me.

I also sometimes feel that people don't understand...that they think I am choosing to feel sad. But, I'm not.

Sorry for the rambling I am doing. Like I said, I am horrible with words. :) I just wanted to thank you for your kind comments. I have been so touched by the supportive comments I have received.

Sincerely,
Kim

July 20, 2005 8:29 AM  
Blogger Ash said...

You are all so amazing!! I'm so proud of you guys for sicking it through, and even if you didn't, 15 miles is not my idea of just a moonlight stroll - great job!!

I just wanted to tell you that I absolutely love you for your effort and the extreme courage you've been able to display through this entire thing - pushing and pulling the rest of us along when we just couldn't, can't, do it by ourselves. You are amazing, and I can't think of any other way for you to help the truth of God's grace and the reality of suicide in American society today become known and realized better than this.

I love you soooooo much!!! See you in a few days hopefully you'll have gotten over any soreness by then)

Love,

    Ashley

July 22, 2005 6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Blockbuster Movie DVD Rental